Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format

Is it safe to combine 2 bottles of HC-110 ?

I have a half-used bottle of HC-110 that's about 1 year old. I was given another 1/2 bottle that appears to be 1 1/2 to 2 years old. (Both work fine for developing)

Is it safe to combine the contents into one bottle?

I need to clean up my storage area and reclaim some space.

Thank you all, Bill
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Large Format
    pretty sure that would be totally fine but, you could try this....

draw 5ml from one bottle and 5ml from the other , mix with water to make 400ml. Use this to develop a roll or sheet of film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Um, yes.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much space does one bottle take? In a laboratory you would never do this. If one bottle is contaminated the result is that the mix is also contaminated. Yes, your darkroom isn't a lab, but it is never a good idea.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't combine until you are sure both can develop same way fine, then i don't see why can't combine both if they both are working just fine same, but as it said, check out first if both bottles developers working fine the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    (Both work fine for developing)
    And they will work fine for longer if you combine them to get rid of the air. It isn't something you'd normally want to do with chemicals, but I would hazard to guess that it will be absolutely fine in this case. HC-110 is not very finicky. I wouldn't even bother trying to mix them. I'd just pour one into the other and let it stand.

That being said, when I get a new bottle, I pour it into two smaller glass bottles. In your case, I might just do that. There should be some mini (240 or 250 mL) PETE water bottles at the market; they would work well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    ...Yes, your darkroom isn't a lab, but it is never a good idea.
    I don't think that's a good perception. I certainly think of my "photo lab" as a lab.

No, it isn't a licensed business, and it isn't a commercial lab of any sort. And it probably pales compared to what some here have.

But good results require good practices, so whether you have a single piece of plywood across a toilet seat or something that makes Clyde Butcher embarrassed thinking of it as a place that requires discipline like a lab is a "good thing" in my mind.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would leave them separate, and use the older one first.

That way if at some point you decide it's bad, you still have the other one.

If you combine them and decide it's bad, you must discard all of it.

I don't use HC-110, but I've heard that the concentrate has a very long shelf life.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They simply will not be bad at that age.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    But good results require good practices, so whether you have a single piece of plywood across a toilet seat or something that makes Clyde Butcher embarrassed thinking of it as a place that requires discipline like a lab is a "good thing" in my mind.
    Best advise I've read in many a year.

- Leigh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin