Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,059   Online: 1102

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Diafine a lot off and on since literally 1980 or so when I discovered it in High School, including for a lot of outdoor photos. It's no longer my preferred developer (the ease and economy back in high school and college made it my standard) but I don't hesitate to use it if I have a roll I started in lower light or such. Wish I could help but the real point of my post is that I have NEVER seen results like this.

Quick question - what kind of tank are you using? I've done all my 35mm in plastic tanks and reels. I have a stainless tank and reel but never liked (or really mastered) loading it and used it only for color where the stainless transmitted the heat of a temperature bath better and the lower solution requirements saved chems. I've always used plastic, and now my Jobo (though not for Diafine) for black and white.

I ask because these look like they could be related to the sprocket holes in your 35mm film and I think the reel type might, just maybe, have a bearing on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Jobo plastic tanks, the smaller 1520 kind. Never had any problems with other developers, or diafine in anything other than bright light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same thing happened to me with the first roll I did in Diafine. That was agitating gently 5 seconds every 60. I changed to 5 secs every 30, not so gentle & never had the drag again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Diafine contains Phenidone. Depending on the developer formulation, Phenidone can be very finicky about agitation since as a developing agent it is more prone to streaking and unevenness than other agents. The development by-products also tend to accelerate its activity (rather than decrease activity as is the case with Metol for example), which would explain why the streaking shows up as increased negative density (lighter values in the print) - what I see in OP image.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I've got another take on this:

These streaks are unevenly spaced and also not vertical. In fact the angle changes as you move across the frame. In my mind that discounts the sprocket hole streaking from uneven development theory.

Also one the streaks on the right seems to be going right down the frame from top to bottom – that is not also something that you are likely to see in sprocket hole streaking from my experience.

The streaks are light in colour and that means that the neg is darker there, not lighter. In socket streaks you get lighter bands under the sprockets. The bands on the print are darker due to thinner neg.

That strange angle makes it look like something else. Like light from a source at the right-hand side??
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 08-04-2011 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added more stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've loved and used disaifne for years now and invert the can three times with 1/4 twist every 30 seconds.
    No pre-soak, I've had issues with films in the past with this so I never do it.
    No water rince between A & B.

I do have a fine filter for my red 2 piece funnel from the 1970s I will strain parts A and B back into the bottle by habbit, I have seen "Floaters" in the screen before, from both A and B. Not often but since I use disaifne till the cows have come home I found it good to remove some of the floaters that occasionall come about. Rare but I wonder if that night be the issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    I've got another take on this:

These streaks are unevenly spaced and also not vertical. In fact the angle changes as you move across the frame. In my mind that discounts the sprocket hole streaking from uneven development theory.

Also one the streaks on the right seems to be going right down the frame from top to bottom – that is not also something that you are likely to see in sprocket hole streaking from my experience.

The streaks are light in colour and that means that the neg is darker there, not lighter. In socket streaks you get lighter bands under the sprockets. The bands on the print are darker due to thinner neg.

That strange angle makes it look like something else. Like light from a source at the right-hand side??
    That makes sense to me. It was very late when I posted and I didn't look closely just saw vertical (more or less) streaks.

I have a Jobo 1510 tank but have used it only when I want a single roll on the Jobo with minimal solution volume so I've never used it with Diafine. For that I've been using an old Yankee two reel tank. For that matter I have the cog lid on it for use with my lift so I can't invert it. I should be getting a 1520 and then will have both lids too so I may give it a try.

I do what the instructions say and agitate once per minute, but while I thought of it as "very gentle" it may be less gentle than some. I slowly invert the tank, twist about a quarter to half turn and and turn it back right side up, and do this twice per agitation cycle. A friend and fellow high school yearbook photographer at another school back in 1980 or 81 turned me on to Diafine and I think that's about what he did. It worked so I've always done that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Looks like bromide drag. Randomize your agitation movements. Don't use the same motion for each agitation cycle. Invert the tank in a variety of different motions. Agitate vigorously and randomly for the first 30 seconds.

To test the effectiveness of your technique: uniformly over-expose a few frames at various frames locations on a roll. That is while shooting, shoot the sky and over expose it a three stops (shooting way out of focus will help the exposure uniformity). Repeat on say frames 1, 12, 24,36. This doesn't use much film and will provide a lot of information. Agitation changes depending on the position on the reel. If the negs are line free you are agitating well.

If all else fails use a more forgiving developer i.e. T-max or D76. .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Diafine contains Phenidone.
    The box says it contains Sodium Sulfite and Hydroquinone.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's probably the partial list for safety reporting. It can't just have Hydroquinone. I'm pretty sure the other developing agent is Phenidone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin