Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,648   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Streaks with Diafine

I've found that I occassionally get streaks in the sky when I use diafine on bright days. I use diafine at night 95% of the time, and it pretty much only gets used in the day if I have a roll of film to finish off.

Sometimes I get streaks in the sky which look like light leaks. The camera is a Leica M3 in excellent condition, though it is 50 years old. Rating film at normal speed and using normal developer, these streaks have never appeared.

Is it perhaps minor holes in the curtain usually not noticeable, but exaggerated using diafine, or a chemical issue?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_roberts/6006387009/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What agitation are you using with the diafine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5 sec each minute, as recommended on the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me it looks like bromide drag from the sprocket holes but it's difficult to tell from that web image.

The one thing that has held me back from experimenting with diafine is this type of uneven development that I have seen mentioned on the net.

Like I said, I've never used it but it seems that agitation is a tricky thing with this stuff. I've read about it time and time again. Some experience no issues and some have problems. May be tied water quality???

Did you mix it using tap water?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mixed the diafine solution with de-mineralised water, as with all my chemistry, water used for washing is tap water. I'm unsure of the water quality here, have never really had any issues apart from the streaks above with diafine.

I've been using diafine for all my pushed film for the last two years or so, have probably processed 150-200 rolls in it. I've never had any problems in the low light films, just daylight. I don't particularly like the look of diafine in daylight, so I tend to avoid it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My take on it is agitation is touchy because on the one hand you want the solutions to soak into the emulsion to give the speed boost in the shadows but if you don't agitate enough you get this uneveness/bromide drag issue in heavy exposure areas.

Maybe try googling if you haven't already as I've read many threads on diafine when I've considered it in the past.
    Seems some love it and some hate it.
    I decided to pass for the time being.

IDK I'm sure I'll get around to testing it at one point.
    I'm sure there's mucho info right here on this site, don't know why no one else has commented yet.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was not aware of the issue....I guess I just started using it one day without doing any reading!

I give it very gentle agitation for 5 sec per minute, and tend to avoid over agitation. Perhaps I should give it heavier agitation and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://1pt4.com/blog/diafine-days/

go 1/3 down the page roughly to the cornfield/sky image
    very similar

he mentions increased agitation solved his problem
    may or may not work for you...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Been using it for years and have never seen this.... sorry you do.... I love disaifne!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://1pt4.com/blog/diafine-days/

go 1/3 down the page roughly to the cornfield/sky image
    very similar

he mentions increased agitation solved his problem
    may or may not work for you...
    That pretty much looks like what I'm getting. Glad it's not the camera!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin