Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,815   Online: 994

Thread: Parodinal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Parodinal

Well it's been 4 days since i made my homemade version of Parodinal. From the Digital Truth website.

I made a 500ml version, and it is starting to turn brown. Apparently that is a good sign as the Sodium Hydroxide is turning the Acetaminophen into p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride My liquid is not clear. It is more milky.

I used filtered water from the refrigerator. I was going to get distilled water but ran out of motivation to run to the store. My second thought was to use a Brita water Filter...
    I got the Store Brand Acetaminophen, and the Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) in 100% pure powdered crystals from Ace Hardware in the drain section. It does not have the metal flakes in it. It is a pure crystal powder.. It's labeled "Household 100% Lye Drain Opener".

I was going to order the Sodium Sulfite from Photographer's Formulary, but I was trying to make the solution from all just regular stuff, as I have a friend in China who wants to make his own and he can't order anything into his country, so I used instead Sodium Metabisulfite. I purchased it at my neighborhood beer and wine store. It was $4 a pound. I hope it works, so I can at least try this. Sure, I could actually order all the things I need from the proper places, but again, I am experimenting to see if what a hastily threw together works, so He can experience Rodinal. I do believe He tried to bring Rodinal back into China from the West, and it was confiscated. I would be Pissed if they took my Rodinal (Adonal). They would have to pry it from my cold dead hands ! So I'm just trying to have a little fun and help a buddy out.

I was hoping to find the Tylenol caplets and just pull them apart to get the powder.
    But all I could find were the dreaded caplets. So I thought of smashing them, and then I had the idea of putting them in my portable electric Coffee bean grinder. It did a great job. The liquid is slowly turning brown. I am looking forward to testing it out next week.

PARODINAL

Parodinal film developer

Water 250 ml
    Acetaminophen 30x 500mg tablets
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 50 g
    Sodium Hydroxide (anhydrous) 20 g
    Mixing instructions: Add chemicals in specified sequence. LET STAND IN SEALED CONTAINER 72 HOURS BEFORE USING

Dilution: as Rodinal

Starting point development time: as Rodinal

Notes: Keep crystals from bottom of container with liquid when decanting, stir before drawing off concentrate for dilution. Use within 30 mins of dilution. Acetaminophen is sold as Paracetamol or Tylenol and is available from any pharmacy.

Please note that this formula has a maximum shelf life of 90 days.

This information was kindly provided by Donald Qualls.

Here is a listing of all the homemade developers you can try out at home. I would love to become a mad scientist and try them all...

http://www.digitaltruth.com/data.php?doc=filmdevs

listed are the film developers. If you look to the left you will see print, and toners and etc...

Enjoy..

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo on 2011-08-06 at 09.31.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Greg, here in Indonesia the hardest ingredients is the pure paracetamol powder without an institutional purchase order. but from what I gather most of the paracetamol powder that is used for cosmetic industry came from China. So I think maybe tour friend in China maybe will have more luck finding it.

If you search clear and clean parodinal here on Apug you'll find the method Zorkikat uses for getting a clear solution.

My parodinal is now 3 month and been used to develop 5 rolls of film you can see the results on my flick sets. It's a resize and JPEg but I think it portrays the results enough.

Regards,

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, I will check it out !

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I made it (and my batch has lasted for a couple of years), I just used the cheapest kind of uncoated generic acetaminophen tablets. We had like 1/3 of a large bottle that I'd kept in my office and had gone past date, and even though I'm not too worried about acetaminophen going bad as long as it stays dry, my wife thought we should buy a new bottle, so that was my excuse for making paRodinal. It works fine, even with whatever binding agents it needs to form tablets. I suspect this form of acetaminophen should be available just about anywhere.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    When I made it (and my batch has lasted for a couple of years), I just used the cheapest kind of uncoated generic acetaminophen tablets. We had like 1/3 of a large bottle that I'd kept in my office and had gone past date, and even though I'm not too worried about acetaminophen going bad as long as it stays dry, my wife thought we should buy a new bottle, so that was my excuse for making paRodinal. It works fine, even with whatever binding agents it needs to form tablets. I suspect this form of acetaminophen should be available just about anywhere.
    Yes, I also use the commercial paracetamol tablets and it works just great in my opinion. Just curious about making it a clear solution
    I'm in the process of trying to make Batch from pure paracetamol that I make from mixing the paracetamol with alcohol, and then letting it evaporate leaving only paracetamol crystals ( I read the method here, on the clean clear parodinal thread).

Regards,

Dave.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your friend in China should be able to get his hands on practically any chemistry, even 4-aminophenol. (Among others such as CD-3, CD-4). Sodium Sulphite shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of suppliers there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin