Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,448   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mrred, i'd like to see some of your neopan at 3200 shots. thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mixed up 5 liters, put away some in a 1 gal jug, the rest in small bottles, add 70ml per roll to the gal before refilling from the dev tank. When the small bottles are gone, I have 5 0ne liter bottles, so on and on. I am happy with xtol for several films, although I like Rodinal for some work

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    In XTOL lore one of the test labs had a replenished batch in a very large commercial processing machine last 5 years before being changed.
    I ran a Refrema Olympic with a 70 gallon tank of Xtol and it was never dumped and only system cleaned once. It's the cleanest most consistent seasoned developer I've seen.

The thing about seasoned is that it isn't full "strength," and it requires constant use and monitoring to keep it stable. This isn't a problem for a commercial lab running over a hundred rolls a day and using control strips, but it seems like too much extra effort for use at home. Fresh chemistry almost guarantees consistency which for me far outweighs any savings with replenishment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    This isn't a problem for a commercial lab running over a hundred rolls a day and using control strips, but it seems like too much extra effort for use at home. Fresh chemistry almost guarantees consistency which for me far outweighs any savings with replenishment.
    I don't agree with that comment.

In just over 40 years I've used replenishment first on a small scall. later in a colmmercial film darkroom in deep tanks with 3 or 4 photographers processing 35mm through to LF every day. then back to smaller scale processing with Xtol.

It's just as easy on a small scale and the results avery consistent. The beauty of Xtol is it's unique as you replenish with fresh developer rather than a seperate replenisher.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian,

Fair enough. I've never replenished on a small scale, but have noticed the instability during slow periods. How closely do you monitor? Control strips? Wedges?

BTW, T-Max R/S is a developer/replenisher too.

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vegardjde View Post
    mrred, i'd like to see some of your neopan at 3200 shots. thanks.

This is one I hung on my wall at the office..... Port of Montreal, sometime last fall (I think). Kiev 88cm , 45mm, 645 back, Neopan 400@3200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shadows look good. How long did you develop it for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol 1:2, 20 mins on Beseler motor base, @20c. It's just magic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anyone use replenished XTOL in a Jobo or other rotary system?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Xtol replenished in a Jobo 2000 series tank but mine's pre rotary so I use it nearly full and inversion agitation.

Volumes are a bit low and there's more aerial oxidationwith rotary processing and there's less advantage in terms of economy.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin