Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,292   Online: 935

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    Ian,

Fair enough. I've never replenished on a small scale, but have noticed the instability during slow periods. How closely do you monitor? Control strips? Wedges?

BTW, T-Max R/S is a developer/replenisher too.

Stephen
    I've used control strips in the past, but I learnt a long time ago how to spot when a replenished developer is changing/deteriorating.

With Xtol Kodak's recommended replenishment rate is more than is actually needed so includes a generous safety factor and I've never found any noticeable varirations beteween negatives and they always print consistently.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been experimenting recently with replenishing HC-110 and have discovered one practical advantage of a replenishment regime that hadn't occurred to me before-hand.

With replenishment I'm always developing film in developer that is already at a stable room temperature. I don't have to worry about getting the diluting water to a particular temperature, I only need to measure the temperature of the room temperature liquid, and adjust my development time accordingly.

Of course I do live in one of the most temperate climates in the world - my opinion might be different if I was travelling back and forth between, as an example, Turkey and the United Kingdom .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Reiser View Post
    I've been using Xtol replenished for a while now and love the results.

My problem is that I don't have the ability to put that much film through it so I end up starting over with a new working solution every 6 months or so. I work with a 2 liter working solution and replenish with the remaining 3 liters.

The question I have is;
    When I mix a new batch of stock solution can I season it with the old working solution? If so how much of the old working solution should I use.

Hal Reiser
    MP 30 Hudson Division
    The Xtol tech sheet gives seasoning instructions, easiest is probably kodak E-6 First Developer Starter which is inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    . . . . . . .

With replenishment I'm always developing film in developer that is already at a stable room temperature. I don't have to worry about getting the diluting water to a particular temperature, I only need to measure the temperature of the room temperature liquid, and adjust my development time accordingly.

Of course I do live in one of the most temperate climates in the world - my opinion might be different if I was travelling back and forth between, as an example, Turkey and the United Kingdom .
    This is a major advantage that many overlook, in the UK I simply stick the bottles of dev, stop & fix in a bowl of warm water in the winter (no central heating ) which is very quick.

I used to process while travelling in the UK and would just take the bottles in the car, the no mixing or critical measuremnts of volumes meant I could process easily when camping on longer trips.

In Turkey I've not been using Xtol, however the ambient Summer temperature where I store chemistry is very stable and I just process to the water temperature which is the same so there wouldn't be any issues.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I use Xtol replenished in a Jobo 2000 series tank but mine's pre rotary so I use it nearly full and inversion agitation.

Volumes are a bit low and there's more aerial oxidationwith rotary processing and there's less advantage in terms of economy.

Ian
    I use replenished XTOL with a Jobo 1540 tank for 35mm and 120 film and a Jobo 3010 Expert Drum for 4"x5" film. I also use replenished XTOL in steel tanks with Hewes reels for single rolls of 35mm and 120 film for convenience rather oxidation.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin