Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,364   Online: 747

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

To replentish XTol or not?

I last mixed up a 5l batch of xtol 1 1/2 years ago and it only went "poof" a few weeks ago. No tears, as there was only 1/2 liter left.

XTol is not the only dev I use, but an important one. But I can only use so much, so fast!

Now, my usual one shot dilution was 1:2. This was my favorite for tonality, grain and sharpness.

In an effort to actually "use" the whole batch before it goes boom, I am considering using 1:1 or stock. This is what brings me to my question. Replenishing requires a "top up" of about 70ml, which effectively gives me the same consumption of 1:1 (my drum only uses 150ml of dev / roll). Is there any advantage to replenish over just developing 1:1?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure, But the real answer to using up all your XTol is just shooting more film.

XTol replenished is actually as economical as 1:4 not 1:1 so it will actually last longer. About 70 rolls.

Replenished it provides some gains in both sharpness and grain. It also is very efficient. Actual replenishment rate is driven by square inches of film so if you use 24 exposure rolls you can do about 105 rolls.

For sheet film many tanks hold a liter. You can fill that tank and develop a single 4x5 sheet and only use 17ml to replenish.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol is great replenished I agree with Mark it's all gains in terms of economy and also improved grain , sharpness and tonality.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Economy" is not a big deal, as the stuff is quite cheap to start with. It does bother me to throw the stuff out though. I've got rodinal 10 yrs old...

Lately I have been doing a lot of reversals, but I leave all my pushes to XTol and my pulls to pyro. There is nothing better than Neopan400@3200 for indoors without a flash.

I have some film hanging to dry now. I guess I will see what stock is like, until I build up enough to seed......

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    One bag of XTOL per year; after the year throw away the rest. After all, what's the difference when you change dilution only to "use" the XTOL? Either way it ends up in the drain. It's just psychology. Get over it.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How long would the replenish developer last? In theory forever, but is there a practical limit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    How long would the replenish developer last? In theory forever, but is there a practical limit?
    As long as it is constantly being freshened and well cared for I see no reason why it would need replacement.

Occasionally running the working/replenished solution through a coffee filter into a fresh clean container is a good idea to get rid of the sand.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In XTOL lore one of the test labs had a replenished batch in a very large commercial processing machine last 5 years before being changed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using Xtol replenished for a while now and love the results.

My problem is that I don't have the ability to put that much film through it so I end up starting over with a new working solution every 6 months or so. I work with a 2 liter working solution and replenish with the remaining 3 liters.

The question I have is;
    When I mix a new batch of stock solution can I season it with the old working solution? If so how much of the old working solution should I use.

Hal Reiser
    MP 30 Hudson Division

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to use around 10% old working solution. I've left my replenished Xtol unused 3-6 moths while abroad and it's been fine but I do a quick test first, I find unused stock lasts about 12-18 months in a good airtight bottle.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin