Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,469   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What is "Kodak Recording Film 2475"?

Found this in my gadget bag:

KODAK RECORDING FILM 2475, RE 135-36, expired 1971.

What is it? It is *way* older than me. All I know is that this is a 1000ASA film (from an old photography book).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Surviellance film, very grainy. Likely quite dead too. Try a few frames and see if you can shoot past the fogging.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A scan of the information that used to be enclosed with the film - courtesy of Tim Gray's excellent "125px.com" site:

http://125px.com/docs/film/kodak/2475.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is...totally black!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember (these days that's as good as it gets... ) shooting it in college, about 35 years ago. I may be wrong, but I recall shooting it at an EI of around 6-12, and developing it for continuous tone. I don't remember the developer, but do recall (if I'm correct) getting Tech-Pan-like results. Then again, I may be remembering something else...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I seem to remember (these days that's as good as it gets... ) shooting it in college, about 35 years ago. I may be wrong, but I recall shooting it at an EI of around 6-12, and developing it for continuous tone. I don't remember the developer, but do recall (if I'm correct) getting Tech-Pan-like results. Then again, I may be remembering something else...
    It is completely the opposite. More like an early "super speed" film, like what would be T-Max 3200 today.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may be thinking of Kodak High Contrast Copy film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to use loads of 35mm Recording Film. I think it was discontinued well over ten years ago, after TMax 3200 had taken over on the high speed front. I always used it at 1000 ASA, (and it was ASA then) and process in HC 110. Grainy as f**k and that's why we liked it. Even better, (or worse depending your viewpoint), processing in print developer would give massive grain. Back when I started working in labs in the 80s, if a grainy effect was needed from an existing neg, a print was made and then copied onto Recording Film. It was on a very thin base so was never dried with hot air. An old client used to assist Linda McCartney and she used it a lot to get the speed and the grain. I think a lot of her shots of Hendrix are shot on it. Tonally it could be soft but tonal which is a good thing if you want to increase the grain as it then needs a higher grade when printing which makes it nice and crisp. The roll you have is well out of date but worth trying. Even maybe clip a a few frames in film and paper dev to see if it works. If you do I can see if I can find my notes for dev times. I think it was about 10 minutes in dilution B, but not sure without checking. Dektol was a lot shorter. There was also a similar emulsion in 120 called Royal X Pan but sadly, that left the scene just as I started to get into it. Hate to say but your roll is not way older than me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't even need to shoot to test it. Just piggyback a little snip onto another roll the next time you develop film. Make sure it is emulsion side out when you put it on the reel, so the two films are base to base. My guess is that it will be black or dark gray.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    2475 was probably the most curly film I ever used.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin