Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,783   Online: 1205

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Harman's Sue Evans has sent me a very kind and explanatory note on the issue. She also sent me replacement films.

I am stunned by Ilford's excellent communication and superb service otherwise. Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks to Simon, Sue and Harman!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As Sander has now had his official reply, I can update as promised:

It was our fault : Justified : Reason - Human errror.

During manufacturing changeover of 'grades' ( meaning different types of film stock in all different formats ) a clean down procedure is carried out. This ensures no film or packaging remains from the previous grade before the new film is loaded and the new packaging is introduced. On the 120 line the foiling machine(s) has a 'point of impact' where the foil on either side of an individual film is sealed.

In this case a film must have been left in the impact area. This should have been removed, and checked as per the clean down regime, but it was not. The clean down procedure has been checked, validated and the operators will be reminded, supervisors will also now check 'up the spout'.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems only fair to post some of the photos that I had intended to be recorded on Pan F Plus but which ended up on FP4 Plus instead- probably the more suitable film for the occasion anyway.

Camera was a battered old Rolleiflex 3,5F with light-yellow filter. Location: beach of Schiermonnikoog, small island in the North of Netherlands. Lighting: harsh, mid-day in early August. Developed in XTOL 1+1. Flatbed scans of the negatives.

Yes, the sun did actually shine now and then in the Summer of 2011

BTW, I am still to shoot that rogue XP2 film. It's C41 that's holding me back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fp4_xtol_schier_aug2011_003_rs.jpg   fp4_xtol_schier_aug2011_004_rs.jpg   fp4_xtol_schier_aug2011_006_rs.jpg   fp4_xtol_schier_aug2011_009_rs.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How is it possible that you made some sunny photos in this Summer within the Netherlands.

It's C41 that's holding me back
    In fact very simple. You only have to find a solution for the 37,8C developing temperature.
    If you have a Jobo processor, it's a piece of cake. And you can mix all kind of C41 films in one development.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can develop XP2 in B&W Chemistry. Check out the massive dev chart. Stock D-76 is 14min. I'd imagine you'd have to deal with the orange mask (I've never used XP2 so I'm not certain it has a mask), but you can develop it.

Shooter
    35mm
    XP2 has no orange mask, hence can be easily printed on multigrade papers.

For C41 development the OP can take the film to Hema (a large store in every town in NL and BE). They don't develop 120 on the premises so will send it off to a large lab (in Tilburg I think) who generally seem to be consistent. And develop-only service is very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XP2 Super will be inferior in quality in B&W chemicals. In C41 it's great for soft portraits and best E.I. is around iso 250.
    Very easy to print on (B&W) MG papers and easy for scanning (ICE) too.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Martin, I know about Hema. The thing is rather that I like doing 'everything' myself. My skin is slightly allergic to certain components in the C41 chemistry, which is problematic even with gloves on. So I guess this one film will end up at Hema sooner or later.

Brofkand- using D76 or similar on such good film would feel like a waste, even though the suggestion is welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin