Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,686   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Thumbs up for Simon

Something bizarre happened last week. I opened a (single) packaging of Pan F Plus (120 size) and found an XP2 Super roll inside. Not a problem at all, as I am only an amateur playing around. Also, I had some other film with me for substitute.

With any other manufacturer I would have probably hit a hard wall at getting this packaging glitch (?) across in the first place, but in the case of Ilford, being represented by Mr. Galley, a PM sufficed.

He's going to sort it out (has the numbers) and kindly apologized. More, he asked for my home address Going that road is not my intent, but the above does go to demonstrate Ilford's commitment & communicative strength (as well as the usefulness of APUG of course).

Thumbs up for Simon/Ilford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too apreciate the effort Harman does keeping commounications going here.

I also appreciate the perspective of the vendor. Your switched packaging is likely not a one off, but likely the tip of an iceberg of fixes that need to get hunted down, and a QA/QC system that needs some attention as well. Running a tight ship takes eternal vigilance.

All the best to Simon and his crew.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having seen the automated 120 film winding and packaging on a factory tour of Ilford, it seems unlikely that a single film could have got in a wrong box...and their QC would, I'm sure , prevent a whole batch being wrongly packaged!

I wonder if the box might have been interfered with after leaving the factory...I remember being warned of a scam some years ago where people were buying expensive 35mm color films, substituting a wood cylinder for the film, resealing the box, then returning it to the retailer for a refund or exchange under the pretence that they had bought the wrong sort! (Though I can't see the point of switching one film for another..)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Having seen the automated 120 film winding and packaging on a factory tour of Ilford, it seems unlikely that a single film could have got in a wrong box...and their QC would, I'm sure , prevent a whole batch being wrongly packaged!)
    I usually believe my own eyes, but in this case I asked my (not photographically inclined) companion to double-check the oddity.

Strangely enough (or not, confusion abounds), another single Pan F packaging from the same batch, i.e. identical coding and date, did contain the really right stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sander was kind enough to let me know about this.

This is a very,very unusual occurance, but I have seen it once before on 35mm we have already checked that no other complaints have been raised regarding this batch, none have, so it may be a one off, but that is not acceptable: We are currently checking our records for the day it was made, which machine, which line, what the manufacturing finishing order was etc .

As the finishing packing line theoretically cannot mis box due to a three step automated bar coding
    start up we will let you know what happened.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that this is a case for Hercule Poirot......"The Mystery of the Two Films", maybe?

(And all credit to Simon/Harman again for their brilliant customer service...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might be dangerous to shoot it. If it isn't really XP2 and you develop PanF+ in C-41 it will come out blank after the bleach and fix steps.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you still have the box? Is there any sign of it having been re-glued?

I'd be most suspicious of the retailer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Matt,

No, the carton box didn't seem tempered with. Also, the foil wrapper (that wonderful Ilford-silvery) was definitely original and unopened. 99.999% sure of all that (one can never be entirely sure of anything, can one?).

I got the batch from macodirect.de (15 films). All films out of those 15 that I have opened so far were fine (except that one weirdo XP2).

No bad word about Maco BTW. They just pass the stuff on (and professionally too).

Best, Sander
    Last edited by sandermarijn; 08-11-2011 at 03:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    As the finishing packing line theoretically cannot mis box due to a three step automated bar coding
    start up we will let you know what happened.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    I suspected something that error-proof; hence my amazement.

A friend of mine compared the incident to finding a North-Korean spare tyre in one's newly bought Mercedes (I have no affection with cars, just for the record). I think that sums it up pretty well.

Any outsourcing to North-Korea going on Simon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin