Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 662

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A warm tone print doesn't usually have a really deep black, the Dmax isn't usually as high.

Often an untoned warm tone print has a greenish clour, selenium toning turns this redder giving a rich warm tone, it's a matter or personal choice and percetion. You can think initially that the selenium has killed the warmth if you compare an untoned warmtone print to one selenium toned, but when you compare to a cold toned bromide print the difference is very significant.

Compare this to the wedge

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ian, I definately have to disagree with you. Both ilford and oriental wt papers have some of the blackest blacks you'll be likely to see.
    Joe Freeman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joefreeman View Post
    Ian, I definately have to disagree with you. Both ilford and oriental wt papers have some of the blackest blacks you'll be likely to see.
    That depends on how you process them, yes they can have but not when you increase the warmth with development controls.

It's a matter of perception if you blue tone a print you get a maximum deep blue colour, that's not close to thee best possible Dmax but it's relative to the rest of the blue tones.

So a warm tone print with a deep brown Dmax still has good visual impact but if you measued the Dmax it's less than the max obtainable with a cold tone developer given full development.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford Warm Tone used to come on a cream colored base, which really accentuated the warmth of the image. The newer stuff seems to come on the same white base as the MGIV paper. I don't know about the other papers you tested.

As other's have mentioned it is possible to adjust the image tone with development (over expose and shorter development in a warm tone developer). But I have found that to get a really dark black and a warm toned image on Ilford paper the best results are with the Warm Tone. I just wish they would bring back the old paper base.

Also, well seasoned Ansco 130 developer tends to color the paper base a tiny bit, and gives a slightly warm tint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joefreeman View Post
    Ilford ... wt papers have some of the blackest blacks you'll be likely to see.
    The blackest of blacks can not be seen. But I digress...

Ilford WT can hit 2.5 OD reflectance without much prodding.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you I really appreciate this forum and all the input
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin