Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 671

Shooter
    Multi Format

Immediate effect of humidity on film emulsion bonding?!

I just developed 2 rolls of Tmax 400 right now. I usually store my exposed film in the fridge and develop them in batches when I have the time. (I dont shoot it often, and usually only when pushing, maybe like 1 month tops and 2 days for 2nd) I usually let them warm up a bit but today I rushed the first roll. It was raining a bit earlier today and its 74* F now.

After opening the 35mm cassette ~5minutes after taking them out, the roll was sealed together leader and all. I immediately stopped and dropped the roll into the patterson tank to let it warm up for another 30 minutes. Came back roll was moist, emulsion had bonded to other side of film. I had to pick leader off the roll, and slowly unwind the sticky roll.

2nd Roll was totally fine and like normal. This was the first time this has ever happened. What the hell? The developed film shows clear areas in the frames after a quick look over, indicating the emulsion was stripped from those spots.

I know the emulsion gets sticky when moistened, I use that trick to pull leaders out with another piece of film. But how was it possible the entire roll was affected to the core?! I'm pissed, the roll that was messed up was more important that the 2nd roll, which half of it was lens tests. ugh...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at how much humidity there is in a fridge, films must be in sealed packages in one, and no-one recommends storing exposed film in one. You've learnt noe

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh man, I guess I should stop putting the exposed rolls back into the fridge and get those 4-5 rolls out right now haha.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin