Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,801   Online: 786
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,754
    Images
    41

    Old KRST - is it safe to decant into another container?

    I bought a darkroom, which came with 7 1 liter bottles of KRST concentrate. As far as I know they are unopened. My understanding is that this stuff lasts forever, right?

    All of the bottles are old plastic, and I don't think I trust them. When bending, they squeak a lot and I'm afraid one might fail at some point. Is it safe to open them all and pour them into 1 gallon jugs? Or, is this a horrible idea?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

  2. #2
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,161
    Images
    148
    I have some quite old KRST bottles and they shouldn't degenrate. but there's no reason at all why you shouldn't store in newer containers as long as you label them well.

    Ian

  3. #3
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,785
    Images
    121
    Your driving concern at this point is the failure of one or more of your existing containers, which would be bad from a health and environmental point of view, beyond the mess and damage it would do in your darkroom. Clean-up and disposal would be a real headache.

    What do you risk in transferring/combining your supply? There is some chance of cross-contamination, but if they are unopened I don't see much of a problem there.

    Is there sediment/precipitate in any of the bottles? You might want to screen that out. Otherwise, have at 'er... and use the stuff.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,472
    Ian, I never got a straight answer from anyone on this, but why would KRST last so long? It has ammonium thiosulfate (ie rapid fixer) in it, and sodium sulfite (presumably as a presevative). Why would it last forever if fixer doesn't?

  5. #5
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,754
    Images
    41
    Yeah, my main concern is to come into the darkroom to find a giant puddle on the floor. I assume that KRST doesn't oxidize at all?

    Any suggestions on bottles for it? Would used plastic vinegar bottles be OK?

    This must be a lifetime supply - I guess I can selenium tone everything now.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

  6. #6
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,161
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Ian, I never got a straight answer from anyone on this, but why would KRST last so long? It has ammonium thiosulfate (ie rapid fixer) in it, and sodium sulfite (presumably as a presevative). Why would it last forever if fixer doesn't?
    It's mainly the percentages. A Rapid fixer concentrate has a very high concentration of Ammonium Thiosphate and this is prone to breaking down and precipitating sulphur.

    KRST has a lower level of thiosulphate and a different pH which helps as well. That combined with the Sulphite helps prevent or slow down considerably the break down.

    Ian

  7. #7
    Worker 11811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,620
    Let me put my 2¢ in here.

    I have been told all sorts of stories about selenium toner and, to hear some people tell it, the stuff is like weapons grade plutonium.

    Yes, I agree! Selenium is toxic but it is not nuclear waste! If you handle it carefully as you would any other chemical, you will be just fine.
    Wear gloves. Wear goggles. Wear an apron. Make sure you have adequate ventilation. Use all the safe practices that, if you are good photographer, you SHOULD already be using.

    People use paint thinners and chemicals in their houses every day without a second thought. You sit in your car, sometimes, just two feet away from a tank full of flammable gasoline. Nobody worries about stuff like this in the least but I actually had one guy tell me that a "friend of a friend" got cancer from selenium toner because a few drops of it spilled on the floor. This guy truly believed that!

    If you spill some toner, mop it up with plenty of detergent and water then put the dirty mops and utensils in a plastic bag, tie it up well and put it in the trash. If you spill more than a little bit of it, you would be wise to take the soiled materials to your local Haz-Mat Amnesty site.

    For cryin' out loud! People shouldn't make this a huge issue.

    *** Now, back to Planet Earth! ***

    Jeff, I think you are right. You would be wise to put your toner into newer, more reliable containers. As long as they are full, unused and/or have not been opened they should not go bad for the foreseeable future. If stored in a cool place, in a good container there should be no problems as long as you want to keep the stuff.

    You probably do have a lifetime supply!

    It is my practice to keep my eggs in more than one basket. I would not combine smaller bottles into one large one. If one container spills or breaks you have less problems to worry about. If you use with smaller amounts of solution at one time, there is less chance of contamination or other screw-ups spoiling all of your stock. Should there be an accident, smaller amounts of chemicals are easier to segregate than large ones. (Assuming we're not talking about "industrial quantities.") If stored in smaller, airtight bottles, you will have fewer concerns about your stocks going bad due to oxidization and spoilage.

    I think you are on the right track. Your common sense seems to be serving you well.
    Randy S.

    In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

    -----

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

  8. #8
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,754
    Images
    41
    Thanks all for the input! APUG rocks.

    On a side note - anyone know the shelf life on partially used film cleaner? I got some Edwal Film Cleaner and also some Kodak Movie Film Cleaner in the same lot, both small half empty bottles.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

  9. #9
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,161
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Let me put my 2¢ in here.

    I have been told all sorts of stories about selenium toner and, to hear some people tell it, the stuff is like weapons grade plutonium.

    Yes, I agree! Selenium is toxic but it is not nuclear waste! If you handle it carefully as you would any other chemical, you will be just fine.
    Wear gloves. Wear goggles. Wear an apron. Make sure you have adequate ventilation. Use all the safe practices that, if you are good photographer, you SHOULD already be using.

    People use paint thinners and chemicals in their houses every day without a second thought. You sit in your car, sometimes, just two feet away from a tank full of flammable gasoline. Nobody worries about stuff like this in the least but I actually had one guy tell me that a "friend of a friend" got cancer from selenium toner because a few drops of it spilled on the floor. This guy truly believed that!

    If you spill some toner, mop it up with plenty of detergent and water then put the dirty mops and utensils in a plastic bag, tie it up well and put it in the trash. If you spill more than a little bit of it, you would be wise to take the soiled materials to your local Haz-Mat Amnesty site.

    For cryin' out loud! People shouldn't make this a huge issue.
    You just have, there's plenty of equally toxic chemistry used in the dark room.

    Ian

  10. #10
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,754
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You just have, there's plenty of equally toxic chemistry used in the dark room.

    Ian
    At the public darkroom I use sometimes, I saw someone pour out his measured graduates for d-76, stop bath, fixer, hypo clear. He got them mixed up, and proceeded to taste them to determine what was what!

    The scary part is, how did he already know what they taste like?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin