Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,956   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martiny View Post
    I live in Phoenix, and this time of year, my cold water tap will run at 100F, give or take.
    I live northeast of Seattle, Washington in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains.

How warm is your tap water in the summer?
    This time of year my cold water tap will momentarily peak at about 67F/19.4C. Mid-60s is the norm for the bulk of the summer months. During winter it drops to around 43F/6C.

Would you wash your prints in 100F water?
    No, but I've done it in 80-85F/27-29C water when I lived in Southern California years ago. Fiber-based, too. Those prints survive today and at least look to be OK. Can't see them on a molecular level, though...

Any alternative suggestions?
    Still water wash cycles in tempered water? Believe me, I know what a pain high temperatures are.

Here in the Northwest this year (to the left of the mountains) we are having one of the coolest summers anyone can remember. Because everyone here is used to 10+ months of continuous bad weather every year, they tend to jealously guard those 8- weeks each summer season. But this year they didn't come.

One of the weather guys on TV went back and checked and said we'd only had a "78 minute summer" this year. Meaning that temps had hit 80F/27C or better for only that many total minutes.

Right now it's in the lower 60sF outside. I have a small electric heater going in my basement darkroom as I type this, just to take the chill off...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-10-2011 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you use a washing aid like Heico Permawash, the washing time can be much shorter than otherwise. That will make it unlikely that the paper suffers any ill effect at elevated washing temperature.

Also, the higher wash temperature might help clear the residual fixer faster than usual.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I often wash Ilford RC paper in warmer water than 100F/38C - just to try and speed up the wash

Never yet experienced a problem - Ilford papers are very good for their mechanical robustness

Not sure I would do it to every manufacturers paper though, I have had some very soft FOMA papers

Emulsion feels "greasy" when handled just before it starts to slip off the backing paper

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be that resin coated B&W isn't as tough as RA4 paper - I don't know - but RA4 is processed at about 95F without problems and it seems that others are able to confirm that Ilford RC can stand it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use stand washes (interleaving prints) with a few ice cubes tossed into the water.

See the thread about drought processing: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...m-drought.html

It would be responsible to conserve water in arid conditions such as prevail in Arizona.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin