Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,946   Online: 1209

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Difference between R09 and Rodinal

Just to educate my-self, is there any difference between R09 and Rodinal in terms of the quality of the negatives they produce?

I would like to experiment with stand-development for slow and medium speed films(PanF+ and Delta 100).
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    RO9 and Rodinal are identical, RO9 is Rodinal, made by Agfa, but sold to the Rollei brand holders by the bucketfull and packed by them, it is just that Agfa holds the name Rodinal and won't let any one else use it, I have used rodinal in all it's names and can see no difference, just use RO9 following the instructions for Rodinal and you won't go wrong.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all RO9 is identical.

The Agfa no for Rodinal has been R09 for over a 100 years, after WWII Agfa Rodinal was reformulated around 1963/4 when Agfa merged with Gevaert, that Rodinal is still in production today but the name can't be used in the US or canada any longer as others own the trade name.

Orwo/Calbe continued making pre WWII formula R09 but not the Rodinal name, so not all R09 is the same.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be I will go with ADOX ADONAL(nach Rodinal original Rezeptur).

Shooter
    35mm
    ADOX appear to make two versions of Rodinal:

The Adonal which is produced according to the 2004 recipe;
    The APH09 which is produced according to the old Rodinal formula from before 1940.

Both are "original Rodinal recipes".

http://www.adox.de/english/ADOLUX/AD...AL/ADONAL.html
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post

The APH09 which is produced according to the old Rodinal formula from before 1940.

Fotoimpex don't make either version they buy them in and sell them under their Adox brand name, and luckily are very good at making it clear what you are buying.

The two versions are not quite the same in behaviour some German photographers prefer the older version which is why Fotoimpex/Adox sells both.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post

I have used both apho9, the original rodinal formula made by Calbe, and the adonal, which according to Fotoimpix is Agfa rodinal, made in the same factory and sold in bulk to whoever wants it and is willing to use their own trade name, RO9 from maco and adonal from adox are exactly the same formula as rodinal, just the name is changed, I still work from sheets printed in 1994, and they are exactly the same, the aph09 used to be different dilutions, 1/40 standard dilution rather than 1/50, and could be re used twice, I think, within an hour with an increase in developing time, but the starting times for APH09 1/40 were the same as rodinal 1/50, with the same results,. I understand that now APH09 has been re-formulated to make 1/50 the starting point and standard dilution. Both are firstclass developers, with APH being a little cheaper, but as far as results are concerned there is nothing to chose between either APH 09, RO9 from Maco/Rollei or adonal from Adox, I have used all 3 with great results, with perhaps APH09 being better for stand development.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Things are pretty clear for me now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A difference is the Calbe RO9 contains more p-Aminophenol and no excess Hydroxide while the later Agfa formula uses less p-Aminophenol at a higher pH and there is excess Hydroxide to give that pH increase which makes it more efficient. The Agfa Gevaert version was cheaper to make, I have published the figures in the past for the two versions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just curious, what are the effects of higher pH on the quality of negative?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin