Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,829   Online: 693

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had the edge problem (holes in the hangers) that Steve mentions using hangers for SS. I never resolved it. I also have always thought that in a tray, it might take too long for agitation to stop completely (the liquid moves more easily), which might be a problem too, plus only one sheet at a time. I've always assumed tubes were the best way to go for this. Especially since you can make them yourself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Lots of testing is in order now.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trays have worked well for me. When I do it, I just sit in the dark. Some music helps pass the time. The developer I use is either D-23 1:7 or Rodinal 1:100. The Rodinal gives a higher film speed, but the D-23 kills the contrast a lot more than the Rodinal. I overexpose by two stops from my decided-upon exposure when using the D-23. I use enough developer to cover the film twice as much as normal, since the corners coming out of the solution is my biggest fear. A slosher is the way to go. It takes up a ton of time doing a sheet at a time, and the time I experimented with multiple sheets in the same tray, most of the negs were ruined. I have considered using double-sided tape to hold the film down to the bottom of the tray, so I can use less developer.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-12-2011 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

In one of A Adams books he shows a sample of horizontal reduced agitation.

Mottle and uneven and totally useless.

But if you wish to reinvent the wheel,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, Jeff, whatever you come up with, when you get close to your time and temp recipe, shoot a set of negatives at a blank surface, out of focus (no distracting detail), and expose to place the value on about Zone 7. Process them all together and contact them, together if you can, on about a grade 3. It will reveal differences between negs, uneven development (which you might not see with busy images), and surge defects. I thought I had a good combo once with testing, then took a trip to New England, shooting in the fall near the sea, lots of open sand and sky. Many of the negs had uneven skies, etc, which did not show in testing images of my back yard. It's kind of an acid test, IMO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The easiest way is to use tubes. Load the film, pour in the presoak, dump the presoak, fill with developer, roll vigorously on a flat surface for one minute. Then begin your stands (with the tube oriented vertically). You get even development and will be spending most of your development time with the lights on.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin