Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,848   Online: 719

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best Soup For Color As BW

suppose you wanted to use 220 rolls of BW. There is none, yet there is 220 color.

has someone already (using current emulsions) souped color in BW dev?

anyone want to save me some money and time and share their results

//// edit

goog found not less than three threads with some start info, right on this UG
    Last edited by ric_kb; 08-11-2011 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: went to net for answer

Shooter
    35mm
    If you do this, make sure you post your results as to effective film speed, tonality and grain. Are you planning to use negative or positive color film for this? I've processed color negative as B&W, but never printed it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's C-41 process color neg film, have it processed as C-41 and print on Panalure paper or any panachromatic paper. Or if you scan it on a computer, do a BW conversion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ric_kb View Post
    suppose you wanted to use 220 rolls of BW. There is none, yet there is 220 color.

has someone already (using current emulsions) souped color in BW dev?

anyone want to save me some money and time and share their results

//// edit

goog found not less than three threads with some start info, right on this UG

i regularly process c41 in caffenol c. i add a tiny bit of ansco 130 ( about 10-20cc / 750cc ) the main problem is the color of the film ...
    sometimes it makes it hard to make enlarger-prints because of the orange mask
    you can remove the orange mask ( with very dilute household bleach ) but purists
    tend to freak-out at just the thought of household bleach ... it does work though from what i have been told ...

there are other ways to remove the cast as well through other unmentionable means which traditional purists tend to freak-out about as well....

have fun !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-11-2011 at 11:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: stuff to add

Shooter
    35mm
    If you develop in B&W developer, do you get any color at all?

I thought you needed special color developers in order to develop any of the color dyes.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    If you develop in B&W developer, do you get any color at all?

I thought you needed special color developers in order to develop any of the color dyes.
    You do to activate the color dyes, but if you skip the bleach step the exposed silver will remain in the film after fixing. So you will have a black and white image on the orange film base. I haven't done it, but I suspect it won't be of as high of quality as regular black and white film, but worth a try.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even if you develop color film in B&W developer you should still see the orange-colored mask, which consists of dye coupler, not dye. Since no color development takes place, dye does not form and the dye coupler and its orange color remains on the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    But slide film doesn't have an orange mask, right?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be prepared for l-o-n-g printing times and hope you like grade 5 prints, that's the only way to get acceptable B&W prints from color negs.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    But slide film doesn't have an orange mask, right?
    Right, but I think 220 has been cancelled for slide films. At least it's hard to find stuff that's in date in the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin