Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,731   Posts: 1,515,256   Online: 812

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Filters with Omega B600

I got my Ilford multigrade filters today. As I expected they don't quite fit into the filter drawer of my Omega B600 enlarger. I believe I can trim them down to size and they will work just fine. But is there any reason I can't just place the filter right on top of the negative carrier? Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you ever want to try split grade printing, you'll find pulling the neg carrier out to swap filters will mess up registration.

I went through the same train of thought with my Durst condenser head and ended up trimming a set of 6" square filters down to 120mm to fit the filter draw. Figured I could always get another set on ebay if I really needed full 6" again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also depending on how close the filters would be to the actual negative plane, and depending on your lens aperture, you don't want the filter surface coming into focus on the print because that's just another surface you'd have to worry about keeping dust-free (not to mention any other defects or scratches etc on the filter). You're much better off just cutting them down and putting them in the filter drawer or even putting them below the lens if you have to.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are good points. Sounds like holding the filter below the lens is the better "quick and dirty" solution. But I'll probably just go ahead and cut them down to size. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin