Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,521   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Old Microdol-X cans - decoration or useful?

So I got two cans of old Microdol-X here... the old stuff that contains monomethyl-p-aminophenol sulfate. The cans have the batch number S/N 6750-817-1364. In the little data sheet below the plastic cap there are films listed that are gone for a long time: Verichrome Pan, Royal Pan, Tri-X Ortho, Panatomic-X and Infrared 135 (no high speed IR in those days?). Well, at least it does not contain recommendations like 'if swallowed call senator Joseph McCarthy'.

I used Microdol-X in the 80s and loved it.

What is your verdict? Try it or use the cans as home decoration?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Reference to those films must make the cans around 40+ years old, so I don't think that you're going to get a reliable verdict as to whether it will still work.

If you want to give-it-a-go with a test film, for "old times sake", why not....you'll still have the empty cans as decoration, and, if you want to keep them long-term as Collectors Items, it may be best to avoid the risk of any remaining contents deteriorating and corroding them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently mixed up a 600mL packet of Microphen which lists the previous generation of Ilford films which were superceded in the late '80s and early 90s so it was over 20 years old. It mixed up clear (not brown) and clip tested great so I used it on some Delta 3200 not mentioned in the package and it came out perfectly! So mix it up but as always test it before using it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find old cans of Kodak developers at estate sales, etc. from time to time. They almost always are still viable. If there are no black flecks or overall brown tone amongst he sodium sulfite and carbonate etc white , you should be fine.

Sometimes with old developer powders you need to add like 5-10% onto the recommended development time.
    Precise timing is something I fiddle with with every developer, old or new, so this causes me no grief.

I carefull open old cans from the bottom, so that they can make a nice display as well as being chemically useful to me.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Listing obsolete films doesn't really date the developer package. As of 2002 M-X liquid bottles were still listing times for Panatomic-X and Verichrome Pan. For those times when you buy an old camera at the junk store and find an exposed roll of Verichrome inside...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several of the foil lined packages of Microdol-X which my Dad bought in the 70's. I recently mixed one to develop a roll of Minox Agfapan 25 from 1986. Beautiful negatives!
    The film had always been in the freezer so it was fine, and the Microdol-X was white, and mixed clear.
    I'd say use it if you have a special film. I still think it was the best fine grain developer ever.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have many old cans of developer, GAF, ANSCO, and Kodak, Hyperfin, Polydol, DK50, Normadal, and Acufine, but I have never used old cans of Micorodol. The cans I have opend all seem to work as expected but cannot vouch for Microdaol. I would give a can a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The developer in Kodak cans was stored under nitrogen. I have some DK-50 that was war surplus from WW2. Still good after 66 years!
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    ... the old stuff that contains monomethyl-p-aminophenol sulfate.
    I have acquired a half dozen rusty old cans of Microdol-X when my local school closed down their darkroom a few years ago.
    Mine contains p-methylaminophenol sulfate - I have no idea whether this is same as monomethyl-p-aminophenol sulfate. But it may tell which is older .. and mine only lists Royal Pan, Tri-X and Panatomic films.
    Anyway I mixed one can and developed PF4+ and instantly I fell in love with MicX. The developer was in perfect shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eSPhotos View Post
    Mine contains p-methylaminophenol sulfate - I have no idea whether this is same as monomethyl-p-aminophenol sulfate.
    They are slightly different names for the same thing. Tradenames for this developing agent are Metol (Agfa), Elon (Kodak), Photol, Genol, and Pictol.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-13-2011 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin