Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,517   Online: 1065

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Have you tried exposing a roll in a regular camera to see if the spots are still there? Or develope a roll in other developer to see if the spots are still there? Just curious. I have 200 ft of bulk 35mm that I have to use and am interested in the outcome.
    The first time I had the problem was in Rodinal & more recently it happened with Xtol, so there's two devs.
    Both rolls were from a Zero Image pinhole camera, but there's nothing about pinhole that's going to make black spots appear across all frames. I've done multiple of rolls of Tmax 100, Tri-X and Portra 160 in the same camera with not even one spot. This was always 120 of course, I haven't heard about this happening on 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Same problem here, Panf+ 35mm expired in 2008 and freezed ever since...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...-pinholes.html
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 09-09-2012 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Black Spots on Pan F negatives

I just processed several rolls of 120 Pan F film that I had shot but did not process for about 5 years. They were kept in their boxes in my basement office, but not refrigerated.
    The image quality was severely degraded and covered with black spots. I then tried processing rolls of Tri-X that were shot at the same time and kept under the same conditions.
    The Tri-X didn't show any degradation of the image or have any black spots. Both processed in DD-X. Apparently Pan F does not hold up under long term storage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I processed 10 rolls of Pan F+ 120 in Adox Adonal 1+50 at home and all the rolls having same spot, sample attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	70602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	70601

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzanite View Post
    I processed 10 rolls of Pan F+ 120 in Adox Adonal 1+50 at home and all the rolls having same spot, sample attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	70602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	70601
    Very sexy lady, nice exposure too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Same problem here, Panf+ 35mm expired in 2008 and freezed ever since...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...-pinholes.html

Excuse me, that would be Freezedededid.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..forget those 'poo-poo' replies! This condition is most definitely the film. ILFORD has never addressed this issue. We dont know what actually causes it, but suspect this happen to long cold stored film. Something in the paper is causing a reaction in the emulsion.

dw /dr5.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    HEY....here's what I was looking for a year ago--I determined it was the film too--although when I brought out this problem to another photo online community, my results were poo poo'ed and the popular opinion was that I was to blame for the spot problem. Nice to see that other people have the exact same problem and have made the exact same determinations--it's the film.

I also suspected that it's a result of storage conditions/refrigeration, but I have nowhere near enough information on how my film was stored before I got it, so this is, at best, speculation.

HOWEVER--maybe it's something else--I got black spots on REVERSAL processed film. So if the spots are black in the negative AND black in the positive, then maybe it's something else.

I've also thought it maybe some gelatain globules with dark dye in them are seeping out or breaking free from the edges/corners of the film and going into the processing solution and thence adhering to the film surface--or something that causes teeny black particles to form in the processing (or be liberated) which adhere to the film and stick when drying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Dr.5 is onto something - storage conditions.

It would be simple to see by taking some rolls of Pan-F+ in 35mm and 120, some protected from moisture, and others not, stick them in a freezer for a couple of years, and then test them.

As a general rule I do not freeze or cold store my film. I just keep it in the basement, protected from moisture, and I usually don't have more than 50 rolls of either 120 or 35mm at any given time, so that I rotate my inventory often. I haven't shot a lot of Ilford film in my life, it's been mostly Kodak, but the films that I have had problems with were those that had been frozen for a long time (by others). Some of it was Pan-F+, some of it was Agfa APX 25, and some Efke 100.

Good luck to you all in solving this. I recommend Ilford uses Simon Galley to collect samples from those that are having problems, maybe even exchange a few rolls of long time frozen film for fresh film - and run some tests... A logistical challenge and nightmare, but the remedy could be as simple as having defined recommendations of how to store the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin