Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,207   Online: 1193

Thread: Chemical Life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Chemical Life.

I recently happened upon some darkroom chemicals .All of them have an expiration of 8/2005 on them. I have Dektol , Fixer and Hypo Clearing Agent .Four or five packages each. They are unopened and in good condition .Are these still usable ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They should be. Kodak's packaging is very good. You won't know for sure until you open each for use. The Dektol should be white crystals maybe a slight tan. The fixer should show no signs of sulfurization. The chances of HCA going bad are very small and you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd agree with Jerry, assuming both the Dektol and the Fixer are the powder versions, and not the liquid ones.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry forgot to mention .Yes all packages are of powdered chemicals .

Shooter
    35mm
    If the packages are intact and the powder feels like powder (not like a brick) everything should be perfectly fine.

Georg

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin