Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,404   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Experience with FomaFix?

Hi all I have searched online, but have come up with inconclusive information.

I am about to load up on a few items from freestyle, I just ran out of fixer today. I usually use Kodak power fixer and Ilford Rapid fix. Browsing the freestyle deal section their 5L Fomafix is $20! Convince me against this buy. Also its past date...

Worth it? or is it a disaster waiting to happen?

I have fears of shelf life, and how long it will last after opening and being half full in container. (Ilford Rapid fix concentrate only last 6months in a half full bottle) The data sheet online did not go into detail. has anyone bought it recently? whats the expiry date?

Also what type of fixer is it? Neutral, alkali or acid?

thanks

I have some 500ml plastic bottles Fomafix dated 2009-01 bought in a sale a couple years back.It is used diluted 1+5 and I am keeping to the instructions on the bottle to only fix 17 films per liter when diluted.I fix tabular grain films for 5-6 min.The pH of the diluted fixer is about 5.It clears film OK, I have not had any problem with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy their 500ml bottles of fixer (to make 3L) and it's good stuff. I like not having to mix up powder the Kodak way.

I keep the concentrate around for up to 6 months, so I don't know how it would last long term. I think it's probably worthwhile for slightly out of date.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like its worth it, ill probably repackage it into smaller concentrate bottles after I crack open the initial 5L container.

Doh... Would have been a great deal if I was near freestyle. there is a huge ground surcharge for shipping this ~$20 LOL found out when I went to checkout.
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 08-15-2011 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Sounds like its worth it, ill probably repackage it into smaller concentrate bottles after I crack open the initial 5L container.

Doh... Would have been a great deal if I was near freestyle. there is a huge ground surcharge for shipping this ~$20 LOL found out when I went to checkout.
    If anyone needs fixer Ilford Hypam 5L is only $25 bucks shipped free on amazon oh yea

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Minimum order is $25, and then Fed-x is only like $4 or so. What's the problem with that? There's tons of great stuff to make up the $5 difference.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea but the surcharge is ~$20 on top of regular shipping so shipping for me with that fixer was extra. the amazon deal was much cheaper at $25 shipped free vs the expired fomafix @ $21+$20 shipping

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since when has Freestyle changed their shipping rate to $20? I've never paid more than standard ground, and gotten fast Fedex delivery------for only$4.95. So, $25 worth of product + $4.95 shipping = $24.95. You saved $4.95.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/701000...-make-up-to-30

NOTE: This product has a ground surcharge in addition to our shipping fee.
    SW Weight: 15.16 lbs.

I think your math somehow went really wrong lol
    So, $25 worth of product + $4.95 shipping = $24.95. You saved $4.95.
    That surcharge is give or take $20, I live on the east coast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just be glad you're not in AU. Here it's $56 for 5L of Hypam, or you can get it shipped from Freestyle for about $150. Don't even ask about colour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin