Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,923   Posts: 1,556,659   Online: 1247

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What a beautiful combination

I finally printed negs this weekend from my test of Fuji Acros 120 shot at box speed and Xtol straight. I was absolutely blown away. The shadow detail is amazing and the film is sharp. My main combination for a long time was Artista EDU Ultra with HC-110. Due to poor reciprocity during long exposures, I started my experiment with Fuji Acros. My shots were in full sun and exposures exceeding 6 seconds. The longs exposures were slightly thin. Don't know if it's my fault with metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Full sun and exposures exceeding 6 seconds?

Acros box speed is ISO 100; therefore 1/100 sec f/16 in full sun. 6 seconds is 9 stops down. 9 stops down from f/16 is f/360.

Are you shooting with a pinhole camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. I shot them in separate occasions. With the evening shot I still had to use an ND filter to get it up to 6 seconds. Should have been clearer about how I ran my test. Sorry

But Acros seems to be pretty versatile.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just fell in love with Acros too.

I've developed it in Rodinal 1:50 with times between 7.5 minutes and 12 minutes. The 7.5 was a mistake as the backing paper said Neopan 400 and I got confused and thought I'd overexposed Neopan by 2 stops. Both came out nicely though the negatives developed for 7.5 minutes were thin. Beautifully low contrast though.

At 7.5 minutes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/6020133484

At 12 minutes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/5016808138/

I'm going to try switching from HC110 to XTOL for development of faster films. I'll definitely the pair a shot. What are you running with for dev time/agitation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Brian,
    I processed my 120 Acros for 9 minutes 20 degrees C. The Massive Dev Chart said 8 minute. I don't know why, but my negs with the Dev Chart has always come out slightly under developed and I always have to print with a grade 3 or 4 filter using Foma MG paper. The agitation is constant agitation for the first 30 secs, then 10 secs per minute there after. Keep in mind that I print with a diffusion color dichroic head, not a condenser head. Maybe that why I have to print on a higher grade. APUGers rave about Xtol because you can shoot at box speeds. I find that HC-110 you'll have to lower your ASA a bit to get the nice shadow detail. I've been using Xtol for 8 months now and I finally found a film that works well with it. The other film that I regularly use, Arista EDU Ultra looks a little soft with Xtol. Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Its always good to have a starting point someone explicitly backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You're welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Its always good to have a starting point someone explicitly backs.
    Glad it's going to help. But the your milage will vary. I judge how I'm souping my negs according how I print them. My goal is a neg that prints easy. Again, good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin