Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,497   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

HIE Kodak infrared in freezer since purchase; I'll never get through my stockpile!!

Here's my situation: in the 90's and early 2000's I was mad about Kodak's HIE infrared film. Still love it, but back then it was my primary film & I thought it would always be. So when I saw the digital tidal wave coming, I knew it's days were numbered. I started making big orders & freezing a stockpile....

Jump forward: I now have about 170 rolls in my freezer with exp dates 2005 - 2007. I have shot & processed about 10 rolls in the last year & they are coming up beautifully. But my heart has moved on: I still shoot primarily film, but seldom HIE. (And it is expensive to process.) I am sure I will never get through all I have on hand.

So questions for you all:

1) How long will it last? Some have said frozen it could be indefinite, but the lab that has been processing it suggested I run through it in the next 2-3 years. (I thought I'd run a bunch this summer, but so far only about 5 rolls....)

2) I have a high-quality lab I trust doing the processing, but with contacts it's $25/roll. Anyone know a less-expensive place processing HIE??

3) If I won't get through it all, should I sell? I see some folks bidding for some HIE on eBay, but it seems to involve a lot of trust that I have had it frozen since purchase (I have, but not sure I would take the word of a stranger online.....)

4) Are people still interested in HIE? (I suppose so as people are bidding, but still -- what do you all think??).

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you sell it, let us know. If the price is workable I'll buy some. It costs no more to process than any other black and white for those of us doing it ourselves.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd be interested in buying some if you do sell it for a reasonable price. Can't help you with the other questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger's right. Process it yourself. You can probably cut your cost by close to 90 percent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Roger's right. Process it yourself. You can probably cut your cost by close to 90 percent.
    Heck, I might process and contact print a few rolls for you in exchange for more film!

The only concerns I'd have there would be liability for someone else's images, getting to it when I could, and possibly heat exposure from shipping this time of year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, can't help with question 1 or 2. #3 is totally up to you, but if you aren't that interested in shooting it anymore you can certainly sell it easily. As for #4, not just yes but hell yes! The other "infrared" films on the market today just really don't compare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure there are plenty of people on apug here that would love to buy some Hie..I'm just saying...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As above, processing it yourself would be the only cheaper option. It will always be expensive at a lab as it requires hand processing. Also as above I'd be happy to take some off your hands. I've no idea how long it will last in the freezer but it was known to go off faster than regular films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure about the longevity of the silver emulsion.

I am sure that there are many people interested in getting their hands on Kodak HIE ... I for one would love to take some off your hands.

I have always processed HIE myself, so the costs were negligible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my last roll of HIE in a camera right now. I process my own, too, so it's no more expensive than anything else. I echo what Roger said.
    I know many people say it does go downhill as it ages (even frozen), but I've gotten reasonable results with 2 years past exp. It was somewhat more grainy, but that could have been the exposure, too. I don't think I'd try to hold onto it any longer than I had to. I intended to shoot this roll last year and didn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin