Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,586   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format

Silly ID-11 Dilution Question

Hi everyone,

I've started developing film at my own home (instead of in my college photo lab).

My first roll at home was HP5+ in ID-11, stock diluted to 1:3 (250ml of stock to 750ml of distilled water). My negs came out beautifully, far nicer than the 400TX I've done at school with Sprint Developer 1:9 in two-to-four roll quantities.

I have a four-roll tank, and I'm planning on doing three-to-four rolls at a time in the future. My original plan was to simply mix up a liter of 1:3 solution exactly as above (250ml stock to 750ml distilled water); however, I've read some posts in other locations that lead me to believe that you have to use 100ml of stock solution per roll of film regardless of dilution.

Does this mean that I should:

1) Go ahead and develop in a liter of 1:3 solution as described above;
    2) Switch to another dilution such as 1:1 that will guarantee sufficient stock to provide at least 100ml of stock per roll;
    3) Dilute 1:3 but at sufficient quantities to use 100ml of stock per roll (meaning 400ml stock, 1200ml distilled water, and discarding what's not used in the 1 liter tank)
    4) None of the above?

Sorry for the silly question.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am sure the concern is for the developer not to become exhausted before you finish developing. If you like the 1:3 dilution, then is best that you develop 3 rolls at the time together, you will fall a bit short of the 100 ml stock mark (80 ml), but I am confident it wont get exhausted before you are done.

If you have a bigger tank that can take more than 1 liter then use the apropriate amount for 4 rolls. ((4x100) + (3x400)) you would put 400 ml stock in 1200 ml of water to make 1600 ml, and develop the 4 rolls in the 1600 ml of developer.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not the dilution that matters, but the total volume of mixed developer. For example, if I develop one roll of APX100 in my Paterson tank, which requires 290 ml of mixed developer per 35mm roll, then I can use 12ml of Rodinal plus 300ml (12 x 25) of water. So, I have only used 12 ml of the developer, but the total volume of the mixed developer is enough to cover the roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcausey
    Hi everyone,

I've started developing film at my own home (instead of in my college photo lab).

My first roll at home was HP5+ in ID-11, stock diluted to 1:3 (250ml of stock to 750ml of distilled water). My negs came out beautifully, far nicer than the 400TX I've done at school with Sprint Developer 1:9 in two-to-four roll quantities.

I have a four-roll tank, and I'm planning on doing three-to-four rolls at a time in the future. My original plan was to simply mix up a liter of 1:3 solution exactly as above (250ml stock to 750ml distilled water); however, I've read some posts in other locations that lead me to believe that you have to use 100ml of stock solution per roll of film regardless of dilution.

Does this mean that I should:

1) Go ahead and develop in a liter of 1:3 solution as described above;
    2) Switch to another dilution such as 1:1 that will guarantee sufficient stock to provide at least 100ml of stock per roll;
    3) Dilute 1:3 but at sufficient quantities to use 100ml of stock per roll (meaning 400ml stock, 1200ml distilled water, and discarding what's not used in the 1 liter tank)
    4) None of the above?

Sorry for the silly question.

Jim
    btw Jim, ID-11 works fine with 400TX and TXP.
    try at a dilution 1+1
    and get the 10 liter packages, they are only the double price as a 1 liter. At least here in Europe.

Fred

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use 75ml of ID-11 per film without any problem. Tested on all Ilford (except Delta 3200) and Foma films, APX 100, Acros, Tri-X and Plus-X.
    BTW, I also use less than 5ml of Rodinal per film (as recommended by Agfa).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin