Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,799   Online: 688

Thread: Purple PPD

Shooter
    Multi Format

Purple PPD

I bought a Formulary Developer 12 (Edwal 12) kit about a month ago. Everything looked fine in the box but yesterday I took another look in the box and all the paper labels on the bags, as well as the mixing instruction sheet looked like they had a purple stain. I took a look at the PPD bag and all the crystals have gone purple. I'm guessing the PPD is dead? Strange that other things in the box have also turned purple though. Leaky PPD bag? Not good since that stuff's pretty poisonous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you contact them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not yet. I bought it basically just to try out a few oldies and mess around a little, so I wasn't going to be using it for serious work. But I was curious to know if PPD turns purple with oxidation etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact Formulary before you do anything else.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That PPD is bad, probably due to a leaky bag. They will replace it, I am sure. Contact them and do not use the chemicals.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developing agents like PPD and paraminophenol first turn purple and then brown as they oxidize. This posters experience points out the permeability of some plastics, polyethylene in particular.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use PPD, and store it in a sealed glass jar ( old baby food jar) in my freezer. Yes, it does turn purple. I have used it while purple, and it seemed to work fine.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin