Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,552   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Age fogged paper

I have this 50 sheet box of 16x20 Ilford MG FB paper that's over years old. It has a light gray fog and it's hard to get a clean white. I'm thinking of using it for Lith printing or other processes that doesn't require a pure white. Is there a way of using a restrainer in the developer to avoid the fogged base? On the other hand, I can buy another box of 16x20 box of paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A search here on APUG (remove paper fog) garnered this as one of the results;

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-50449.html

I actually bought some chemicals to do exactly the same, but can't for the life of me remember its name! (Plus I'm miles away from the darkroom to check for you. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! It's a great start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can try adding a small amount of 10% potassium bromide or 1% benzotriazole to each liter of working developer. This will reduce any fog. Start with 2.5 ml of either solution working up to 10 to 15 ml. The potassium bromide will also perk up the paper's contrast.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hey thanks Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You can try adding a small amount of 10% potassium bromide or 1% benzotriazole to each liter of working developer. This will reduce any fog. Start with 2.5 ml of either solution working up to 10 to 15 ml. The potassium bromide will also perk up the paper's contrast.
    I'll give it a try. But will this effect the blacks on my prints?

Potassium Bromide will make your paper go warm toned and then after a point even a greenish hue. Benzotriazone will give you a colder tone. Both work pretty well and if there is no light fogging should work for you. Some papers however have a lot of developer incorporated emulsions and that fog isn't easily removed if at all. Agfa MCP was like that, if it fogged it was done! But I believe yours will be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Thanks! I paid a lot for the paper. It looks like there's still hope. I'll try the potassium bromide trick. I like warm tone papers anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Then, after the bromide in the developer, reduce slightly after fix (Farmers reducer, one solution). Both methods synergize to work with paper that is even moderately fogged. Be sure to print slightly darker so the reducer does not make things too white. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all he great tips. I have a whole stash of old paper in my darkroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin