Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,450   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Do you mean tone or color? The tone is achieved through negative exposure, development and printing. Print color is achieved in various other ways.
    Both. The previous poster got it right - "Typical for lith is the low highlight contrast and the high shadow contrast." AND the actual color - the cool shadows and warm highlights. I guess my darkness love affair is showing itself here - I tend to like darker prints; as in more separation of shadow and less bright overall highlights. Not muddy, but darker. MAke sense?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Both. The previous poster got it right - "Typical for lith is the low highlight contrast and the high shadow contrast." AND the actual color - the cool shadows and warm highlights. I guess my darkness love affair is showing itself here - I tend to like darker prints; as in more separation of shadow and less bright overall highlights. Not muddy, but darker. MAke sense?
    Then from what I see on your website, I'd say that you should expose your negatives more and develop them less. That will help you achieve the desired tonality. The color achieved with Ilford Warmtone papers is just lovely, IMHO, especially when developed in amidol. A warm brownish black. Why not just try the paper? You can get Ansco 130 from Photographer's Formulary which is very close to amidol.

To each his own, but I can't stand any print with even the slightest hint of pink or purple. I would try printing them straight first and see if you like the color. Even Dektol yields a nice warm color with Ilford Multigrade Warmtone. Probably will with the new paper, too.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Then from what I see on your website, I'd say that you should expose your negatives more and develop them less. That will help you achieve the desired tonality. The color achieved with Ilford Warmtone papers is just lovely, IMHO, especially when developed in amidol. A warm brownish black. Why not just try the paper? You can get Ansco 130 from Photographer's Formulary which is very close to amidol.

To each his own, but I can't stand any print with even the slightest hint of pink or purple. I would try printing them straight first and see if you like the color. Even Dektol yields a nice warm color with Ilford Multigrade Warmtone. Probably will with the new paper, too.
    Will do! Thanks for the tips!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Katie,

First all the image on the Internet is a fair bit darker than the real prints, not sure how that happened, I hate scanning print!

The extract below is from the Ilford site and explains how the print was made.
    Hope it helps.

Regards J.

"The image was taken in 2010 on the island of Agistri in the Saronic Islands, not far from Athens, using a 4x5 view camera with a 47XL mm lens and I had been waiting for those clouds for over 4 weeks.

In the darkroom I had a change of mind on the composition and cropped the 4x5 sheet of HP5 to a small 7cm square at the enlarging stage, the base exposure at g2 (no filtration) was held back for a 1/3 of a stop at the bottom then the sky burnt in for an additional 1½ stops at g5 then developed in Bromophen 1/5 for 3 mins. After washing, the print was partially bleached and lightly sepia toned, and a final bath in selenium mixed at 1-10

I’ve printed the image on both Art 300 and WT gloss but much prefer the Art 300 even though it has a lower resolution because of the textured surface, it suits the subject I think.
    This was the first image I printed with Art 300 and it is so easy to handle and a joy to use with the added bonus of being very durable throughout processing and dries flat easily. I’ve used this paper quite a bit since this first print and most people seem to love the results."
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
    Katie,

First all the image on the Internet is a fair bit darker than the real prints, not sure how that happened, I hate scanning print!
    I always assume that print scans NEVER do justice to the actual print, so you can be assured that I had the print looking beautifully in my mind!

THANK YOU for responding to my inquiry - it is really awesome of you to take the time to assist others that admire your work so. You are doing your part in keeping this wonderful craft alive!

I have just started fiddling with bleaching and selenium toning. I will get some Bromophen and start playing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting about the split toning on MG paper. I've read that some don't like this as the two emulsions can tone differently.

For me sepia toner is hazmat so hard to get here so thus far I stick to heavy metal selenium which is somehow easier to get... Copper is fun too but I find split selenium/copper always turns out badly for me so I use them separately.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon- Thanks for replying to the original question. The sharing of knowledge is what makes this site special.
    Katie- keep asking questions, and sharing your results.
    Gerald- You really shouldn't disparage other members work without putting your own up to the same scrutiny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    x2

The really good ones don't usually have time to participate here, because they're busy making prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Seriously???

I've already seen your retraction so I'm inclined to give you a pass. However, this post and another I saw just today, "Is Photography Dead?" Really??

I can't help but think, if you don't have something positive to say then just say nothing at all. Sadly, these forums are fueled by those who constantly want to disagree, correct and in the end pound their own chest from a higher plateau.

I really wonder how many quality photogs and or those blessed with really wonderful insight these forums have poisoned since their inception, we'll never know.

What I do know, through only two or three personal acquaintances I've made through these forums have blossomed into several dozen quality friends who just happen to be terrific photogs, almost to a man they rarely participate in these forums.

2 cents!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
    I rarely post on APUG, you can see why!
    I was asked to help, sorry for my post Mr. Koch.
    J.
    I think it's a beautiful image, Jon. Thanks for your explanations. I'll definitely make it a point to try the new paper.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    What an impressive mess, I may have set a record. Where to start was easy, where to end? Not so easy. Please don't feed trolls, just report them. When you respond, all that happens is the further derailment of the topic, and bigger mess for the moderator. If you simply report a post, it can be removed, much like a wart, rather than the limb I have just amputated. So before you respond to something vitriolic and off topic, try to remember that there is a little exclamation point down in the left corner of every post, with which an unseen Kraken can be summoned from the darkest depths of APUG to snuff the troll for you, and nary a squeak to be heard as the water rushes back. Remember, I love you all.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 08-31-2011 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin