Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,556,000   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acheving these tones?

Here is a link to an award winning print on the new Ilford Multigrade Art 300 paper. It says "cool base and neutral to warm image tone". Should I assume this image has been toned (as he mentions that this paper tones well)? How do you think I can get these tones myself? Dev? Strength? Toner? Is it this paper or can I get it with other papers (that I may currently own...)

TIA!

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/il...ng-image-16813

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if it's a lith print?

http://www.lithprint.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect that warmtone developer and toning has been used. I haven't used 300 yet but love Ilford Warmtone developed in Bromophen 1+3 then toned in Selenium 1+4 to completion. I have a bottle of Harman Warmtone developer on the shelf I've been meaning to try as well.

That image looks perhaps more like sepia rather than my selenium tones.

Old Nest 2 MGWT in Berg Selenium (Explored) by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Brass, wood, aluminum and brick by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

I am a starving beauty crop by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys - didn't look like any of my (all three of them) selenium toned prints either. I have been wanting to get some Neutol to try some warm image prints - and then selenium tone them. Just wondered if this paper might have something new to add (in regards to tone).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been quite excited about the new Art 300 paper myself. I plan on ordering some very soon. Perhaps someone can try getting in touch with Jon Butler to ask him how he made the print. The photo community isn't really that large so I'm sure he could be contacted.
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It looks like a split-toned lith print - one toner cold, the other warm, though this can be done in several
    different ways and requires a little practice with the timing, concentration, temp, etc. Hard to guess the
    developer, since there are several options here too. Ilford MG Warmtone is also capable of these kinds of
    effects. My hunch is that the difference between these papers is more related to the texture than the
    emulsion itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my limited experience with the MG300 paper the emulsion is different to MG Warmtone - it is about a stop slower and reacts much slower (more controlable?) in selenium than MG Warmtone but compared to a matt paper the matt(ish) finish of the MG300 can get some really deep sparkly blacks. Quite a subject specific paper I think, just not found my subject for it!

Sim2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks like a thiocarbamide (thiourea) sepia-toned print to me, probably with the pH adjusted to give yellowish rather than reddish hues. Could also have some selenium in the mix. Check out Daniel Lin's APUG gallery for some superb examples. His handle is "dlin."

Here's a link to one of his landscapes:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...&imageuser=469

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Here is a link to an award winning print on the new Ilford Multigrade Art 300 paper. It says "cool base and neutral to warm image tone". Should I assume this image has been toned (as he mentions that this paper tones well)? How do you think I can get these tones myself? Dev? Strength? Toner? Is it this paper or can I get it with other papers (that I may currently own...)

TIA!

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/il...ng-image-16813
    Do you mean tone or color? The tone is achieved through negative exposure, development and printing. Print color is achieved in various other ways.
    Jim

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I think it is lith. Some papers show this putty/slightly pink colour. No idea if MG300 is one of them. Typical for lith is the low highlight contrast and the high shadow contrast.

e.g. here's a picture from W. Moersch's Gallery, Fomabrom Variant in his Easylith developer.
    Last edited by ath; 08-23-2011 at 05:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin