Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,972   Posts: 1,632,742   Online: 695

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

dectol and film

There was a paper published in the Journal of Biological Photography some 20-odd years ago where the author made some film/developer comparisons.

Dektol at about 1:29 for around 20 minutes @20° C gave surprisingly good results with regards to tonal range and fine grain..... even when compared to a couple of 'standard' film developers.

Ken
    There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
    But they're ever so small that's why rain is thin.
    Spike Milligan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, D-72 (Dektol) was once said to be a universal developer for films and papers. For large format it was typically diluted up to 1+7 and for papers 1+2. As I stated in another thread on Ilford Universal PQ these developers become acutance developers at higher dilutions 1+19 or 1+29. There is some grain but it is tight.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-24-2011 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...ilm-paper.html

lots of us still use paper developers for film ...
    i've been using ansco 130 ( very similar to gaf universal )
    for a long time ... i now dilute with caffenol c instead of water and get great results too

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people also use various dilutions of Dektol (as dilute as 1:40) as a convenient film developer when making masks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ansco/agfa 125 is almost the same as dektol
    they would describe the negatives as "crisp"

have fun!
    john
    Have to be careful here as Agfa Ansco (GAF) 125 is quite different to Agfa 125 which is a Rapid document paper developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok well... I got it done. But I jacked up the ratios some kind of stupid. Please make sure you are not drinking any liquids, because I am not responsible for any shorted out keyboards after you read the following.

Earlier in this thread I read Dektol 1:7 for 7 minutes. So thats what I did. I put one cup of dektol powder in a jug, and mixed it with 7 cups of water. I should have known something was wrong when there were still tiny floating pieces of undissolved powder.

And then this morning I started looking at the dried negatives thinking they were awfully black. And then it hit me. I needed to dissolve the powder in a gallon of water, and then mix a cup of THAT with 7 cups of water.

Oh well! I didn't loose anything, but I sure as hell enjoyed the smell of the fixer last night. Brought back so many memories from high school, I nearly got teary eyed.

I stopped at the camera store this morning and bought some D-76, and some more Kodak Rapid Fixer. I'll pay more attention tonight and mix them properly.

For now I'm going to go start reading up on the chemistry part.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Dektol (1 part dektol, 3 parts water) for film and it works fine for when I am going for that old heavy film grain type look. I believe you can find this on the "massive development chart" along with times for some films.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ironically D72 started life as a film developer, it was designed as a High contrast developer for rapid dish processing of Press, Commercial and Industrial plates and films. Only later was it sold as a Universal paper developer.

Ian

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Earlier in this thread I read Dektol 1:7 for 7 minutes. So thats what I did. I put one cup of dektol powder in a jug, and mixed it with 7 cups of water.
    Um, yeah, that won't work, your almost right, the whole bag goes into 3 quarts of water, then dissolve, then top off to one gallon. I always end up with a few "floaties" in my Dsektol that refuse to dissolve.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Um, yeah, that won't work, your almost right, the whole bag goes into 3 quarts of water, then dissolve, then top off to one gallon. I always end up with a few "floaties" in my Dsektol that refuse to dissolve.

Yeah. I just flat wasn't paying attention last night. It took all I had to compose myself long enough to sit on the dark bathroom floor to load the film onto the reel. I truly cannot express how excited I was to be doing it.

Second roll tomorrow morning will be better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin