Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 817

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    I have never been a fan of TEA. My experience is that solutions with it don't hold up well over time. I have had solutions oxidate within a short time with TEA. I generally prefer Propylene Glycol if longevity is your goal. Glycol doesn't work with all developing agents, but it does with most. You can easily make a second component with any other base than TEA. Overall I think that is the best strategy.
    I've got a partial bottle of PC-TEA mixed over three year ago, and the stuff still works as good as the day I mixed it. It has gone from a light straw colour to dark brown (just like Rodinal, only thicker), but that seems to be the only change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    So glycol can be used in place of TEA? I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    They can't be substituted straight across, for pH reasons; I just keep my stock of phenidone in solution in propylene glycol, for easier mixing. I'm pretty sure the amount of glycol introduced into the developer as a result isn't an important difference.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I'll keep using TEA. Thanks for the tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether your formula calls for TEA or glycol the key is patience. Eventually everything will go into solution. I have found that these developers keep better if they are not heated to too high a temperature. Everything should dissolve even at room temperature, just takes longer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glycol is merely a preservative - TEA, in 510-Pyro, is both a preservative (in stock solution) and the accelerator when mixed with water to the working dilution. They are not substitutes for one another.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What film, dilution level, time. temp did you use? Looks like you got it nailed.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Straight from the MDC: 1+100, 7 min, 70 F.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin