Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,777   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Viscocity of TEA

I just made some 510-PYRO (TEA 75 ml, ascorbic acid 5 g, pyrogallol, 10 g, phenidone 0.25 g, TEA to 100 ml) but it's difficult getting it into solution. The TEA is extremely viscous - is this expected? Is there something I need to do to get the powdered components into solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The answer appears to be microwave it for 1 min then swirl like mad for an hour. I hope to try it out tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A little heat goes a long way. Once you warm it up to 150 degrees it will mix easily. I do it on the stove top.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a hot-water bath. It seems a little less peril-fraught than the microwave to me.

Any way you slice it, it takes a while to dissolve ascorbic acid in TEA, though. Not sure about the phenidone---I keep mine in a stock solution in glycol.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So glycol can be used in place of TEA? I'll keep that in mind for next time. At any rate, it looks good so far with a roll of Acros that I just developed. I know the benefits of this developer, but are there any bad things to look out for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had no problems dissolving the ascorbic acid or the phenidone in the warmed TEA. It takes a few minutes, but it does all dissolve.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it seems to work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 510pyro-1.jpg   510pyro-2.jpg   510pyro-3.jpg   510pyro-4.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the first time I tried it I thought WTF! Warmed the Tea in a hot water bath and just stirred and stirred, and you still could see suspended particles, but they seem to have been absorbed over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never been a fan of TEA. My experience is that solutions with it don't hold up well over time. I have had solutions oxidate within a short time with TEA. I generally prefer Propylene Glycol if longevity is your goal. Glycol doesn't work with all developing agents, but it does with most. You can easily make a second component with any other base than TEA. Overall I think that is the best strategy.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have difficulties with dissolving the ingredients in TEA and you want to take propylenglycol instead, please remember that the TEA is not only the solvent but also the alkaline component. So it cannot simply be left out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin