Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,661   Online: 866

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developed a roll in D-76 1:1 at 14 minutes; the recommended time for the film from Kentmere. Seems fairly dense; maybe overdeveloped or overexposed. Used the built-in flash on my A2 for most of the shots. Usually my camera's meter is very good, even while using flash. I'll do some more testing and see what to make of it.

First impressions: it dries flat. Takes 2.5 minutes to clear in Kodak Fixer. Outside of that, we'll see. Looking forward to scanning some of these shots. I don't have a darkroom setup at the moment to print any properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grainy film. Quick and dirty scan on my v500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
    Grainy? I heard from a rep at Freestyle that it's a T-grained film possibly Delta 400. I don't know if this is true or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    There has been a lot of speculation about the Kentmere films (100 and 400). Some say it's rebranded Delta or HP5, or even an older Ilford emulsion, but I recall Simon denying this somewhere on these forums.
    This is a quick quote from Simon in a thread I started a couple of years ago when the lab I worked at first received the film.

"KENTMERE film is absolutely BRAND new, 2 new emulsions, 35mm only, at a competitive price, it is not a 'rebadged' ILFORD Film, I think I have stated many times WE DO NOT SUPPLY PRIVATE LABEL even to a BRAND we own.
    Kind Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited "

If you are interested in the thread it is 19 pages long, and the above statement is on page 2. Simon is very present within the first 10-12 pages and answers a lot of questions.

1/2 way down on page 15 I posted some results of testing Kentmere 400 while running a separate test on developers, but is a good reference for these purposes as well. There is a link to a second thread in that post.

Link-pg 15 - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...l-know-15.html

Hope this helps.

Jody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is some thread! It's a shame this film has been around for 3 years and there's so little talk about it. On the surface it seems like a decent film.

I will do much more testing with it. It appears at first glance my first roll was either consistently overexposed, overdeveloped, or both. I was skeptical about developing it for 14 minutes at 1:1 with D-76, but that's what Harman calls for.

I'll use Rodinal next.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kinda looks like an attempt to horn in on Tri-X. With Kodak falling faster than apples around Newton's head maybe this is worth looking at.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maco company in Germany sells a developer which works fine with that film named RPX-D. You can get real 1000 ASA from it, with decent shadow separation. I have tested it. You can see the results in this pdf-file. "belichtet wie" means "exposured like", the vertical text "entwickelt wie" means "developed like".

If you use the minimum amount of developer (21 ml per film), which means developed like 400 ASA, you get real 800 ASA which is quite a good result. By doubling the developing costs (developed like 1600 ASA) you gain half a stop.

The grain is typical for a 400 ASA film and does not increase with forced development. In this image you see a detail, the tree at the right edge, the upper part shows developed like 400, the bottom show developed like 1600.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mostly shoot my K 100 @ 50 Which is recommended by DD charts with Rodinal Dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developed a roll in Rodinal 1:25 at 9m. Contrast is much better controlled, and it seems less grainy (probably because the negatives aren't overdeveloped).

So far this seems to be the winning combo. As Ansel said, "D-76 is a universal developer, but not one that I use."

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    it is good stuff with a vintage look to it when developed in tmax. it does fog/mist very well. its dried-flatness is a big plus ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does not do well in Rodinal at 1:50, at least not at 20 minutes. Seems very contrasty and grainy as in D-76. Still doing some testing, but as of now it seems that Rodinal at 1:25 9m seems to be a good combination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin