Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,653   Online: 887

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere 400

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kentmere 400

Has anyone used this film? Just ordered a 100 foot roll from B&H, but I haven't seen many reviews of it anywhere.

Mostly what I've seen is people say it's grainy, but otherwise good. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a 100' roll of it for a class two years ago. I found it too grainy for my tastes, and the film base was a little thin. Otherwise, it performed alright.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure I'll try it; it was only $30 which is cheap as far as bulk rolls of film nowadays. If it's no good for me, I'll go back to HP5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Grainy? I heard from a rep at Freestyle that it's a T-grained film possibly Delta 400. I don't know if this is true or not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is most definitely NOT t-grain. To me it looked like a more salt-and-pepper HP5. that is, unless they changed it in the past year or two. I shot it back in fall 09 I believe.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not Delta 400. Not even close. Not HP-5 nor Pan 400, but closer to the latter than the rest. Grainy, but otherwise good is a decent description. Dries flat. Has a rather classic look. Nice really, a good value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am still using up a large (100ft) roll of Kentmere 100 and find it a very worthy film. I develop it 1-50 Blazinal (Rodinal for the rest of the world).
    It dries very flat so it is good for scanning. I have only printed a few but they were good where they should be. Next film order will contain several more large rolls and I HAVE to try out the 400 as well. I say go for it. Don't let fear or common sense hold you back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kentmere 100 in 1-50 Blznl  0005.JPG  
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 08-26-2011 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just spooled a half dozen rolls...going to shoot it tomorrow. Hopefully it's good! Does Harman have the ability to make bad film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There has been a lot of speculation about the Kentmere films (100 and 400). Some say it's rebranded Delta or HP5, or even an older Ilford emulsion, but I recall Simon denying this somewhere on these forums.
    I'll order a brick or two myself when I'm through my current stash and see for myself. There's not much documentation available for these films though, hopefully that'll change.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good films, with a bit more grain than FP4 and HP5 (I think it is most prominently seen on the K400). The QC seems as good as the regular Ilford films. If I wasn't so lazy with bringing the tripod outside, I'd shoot tons of K100, it's really nice! I've been doing it in XTOL 1+1, 12 minutes or so.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin