Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,443   Online: 942

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Benzotriazole and Iford developers

I plan to make prints on some older paper. The plan was to use Ilford Multigrade or Ilford Warmtone developers with 15ml of benzotriazole per litre as outlined in the Darkroom Cookbook. I intent to tone the prints in sepia/selenium after. I understand that BZT results in blue-black tones. I want to achieve warmer tones. My question really is how does BZT affect these two types of developer. I haven't used restrainers to revive paper before so am pretty clueless of how they react with the developer. Apparently PH is another factor. Any info would be great!

Cheers,
    Gareth

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Benz inherently cools tones somewhat. If you need a warmer restrainer it would be KBR, but it takes a little more to do the job.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try the paper without benzotriazole first, if you havent already. Maybe you wont need it. Its effect cooling depends on the paper and it can range from unnoticeable to pronounced-what kind of paper is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen it used with ilford semi-matt warmtone in LPD and it looked phenomenal. It looked warm and had the tones of selenium toning right out of the developer, but it was still warm -not cold or blue. Not sure if that helps at all as I know you were talking about ilford developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was intending to use it with some Art Classic I got my grubby mitts on. What's LPD? Unfamiliar with that dev. I checked the PH of both developers last night and they're PH 12-14. It says BZT isn't so good in developers of low alkalinity. Will have to just try it and see I suppose. Cheers for the replies

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used it with age-fogged Agfa MCP and it both worked and didn't seem to alter the "colour to any extent I could notice

Can't say about Ilford paper - haven't got any that's fogged . Try it and see. Unlikely to change things from "beauty to beast" I would have thought

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use benz all the time with an acidic amidol print developer. Works great; but that's my only non-alkaline
    experience with it. The only paper I personally use where the cooling effect is very modest is the new
    Agfa MCC, but it's still apparent there to some extent, even when I substitute it for KBr in 130 dev.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin