Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,163   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    My scanner (Epson 4490) is, as most are, restricted to sizes smaller than my editioned fiber fine art prints, so I have for some time included 8X10's in my workflow to scan or publish. Yes, fiber takes a lot of cleanup in photoshop once scanned, but it is the only way to faithfully present digitally what may only be truly appreciated in the "flesh", as it were. I rarely need to make any tonal corrections whatsoever, only employing unsharp mask and spotting out white artifacts (indeed a royal pain). The scans only need to be good enough to truthfully represent the actual print at standard screen resolutions of 72 DPI and no larger than, say, 800 pixels in the longest dimension (larger and more finely scanned files exacerbate theft issues). I scan in color space and convert to monochrome to rid it of artifact color not representative of the actual fine print.

While not part of the APUG Galleries, all fine print representations on my site have been done in exactly this manner. My scans do have a different look from most other monochrome work I see on the web – but they are, to the best of my limited abilities, authentically portrayed. However, based on the responses in this thread, it would seem that this intention and result may be at odds with the sensibilities of others.
    Dear Rol,

Many thanks for your comment. It helps me a lot.

You have a great site web full of very interesting things. It is the second time that i discover your site, first time with the mounting video.

I am also scanning with a 4490. I will try your preset and see. I will have also to look why the function b&w on the scanner is so bad. With my negs, after struggling i have finalised with a color scan and then the channel mixer. I don't know if the results are good but they are enough for me.

What i don't understand is why the function b&w exist if it's so bad, or, when do we have to use the b&w function ?

For Apug, do you resize in 800 pixels ? More or less, which one is the best?

Thanks jnanian for the dpi.

I scanned this one in 1200 dpi... it gives me a tiff of 110mo that's why i said it was rubbish... I have nothing and it takes an enormous place.

Thanks for all your help. I will try to work again on it.

All the best

Rom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also scan in colour, but I prefer photographing them with a digital camera (in RAW format). Reduces the grain a bit and gets me closer to what the print looks like in real life, at least to my eyes. And I don't have to set up the scanner.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    FB prints don't scan well at all because of the paper surface. I re-photograph using a DSLR or make a Glossy RC print for scanning. The other option is a neg scan I can emulate my darkroom prints this way.

Ian
    Re-photography with Hassy and Leaf Back is crazy good nice. (or a DSLR)...
    Didn't read all the replies but did you turn off auto-levels/controls?

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerevan,

I will try the dsrl. Just have to find the good light to shoot the print.

Thanks again

++
    All the best,
    Rom

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vpwphoto, yes I turn off all the automatic function. Anyway I need now to make new tests. Will come back perhaps this week end with a new proof.

Let's see.

Thanks

Rom
    All the best,
    Rom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin