Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,620   Online: 857

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My experience: sunny day f/13ish @1/125 with a #25 red filter. Develop it in HC110 dilution B for 5.5-6 minutes @ 68F. (Paterson plastic tanks are OK.) Definitely load and unload it in total darkness and don't use an EOS with the film sensor in the camera because it will fog. HIE lacks an anti-halation coating and any light hitting the film, including the leader, scatters through it. I've witnessed numerous rolls of students' film ruined by not loading/unloading in total darkness. I've also heard the cartridge felt is transparent to IR but that may just be urban legend. Why take a chance?

Personally, I think D-76 gives poor results with this film. (D76 1+1 for 13minutes @ 68F I believe was the recommendation I used.) I like the contrast much better with HC-110 B. I never used a meter with the stuff and think any success doing so is probably as much luck as anything else.

Small apertures like the aforementioned f/11-f/16 will help reduce any focus shift effect.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD View Post
    Like the title says, I managed to get two rolls of 35mm Kodak HIE at a good price ($20) along with two rolls of Kodak Tech Pan (but that's another story). Now I have to figure out how I'm going to shoot the stuff. This will be my absolute first foray into infrared photography as I've been holding off on it, so I feel like this will be a great opportunity since I'll get to use the now discontinued HIE. I have a few questions for you folks who have worked with this film.

1) I understand that I have to load the film in total darkness because it will get ruined otherwise as the light will "travel" down the leader and the rest of the film, correct?

2) The reason I've been holding off trying IR was the fact that I didn't want to have to purchase an IR filter which I would barely use. From what I've read I can get the typical strong IR effects with HIE with just your regular #25 red filter. Is that right, any special cases (developers, etc) that I need to know about?

3) Here's the big question, what ISO do I shoot it at? What was the standard/box ISO of this film? This brings me to my next question.

4) I currently regularly use D-76 and Rodinal as my developers, but I also have access to T-Max developer. What would be a good choice and what should I be doing with the developing times (related to question #3)?

5) Regarding the IR effects, when/what should I shoot to benefit the most from its IR capabilities. I've read that a sunny (no clouds) day is best and I know that foliage goes nuts with IR. How about people, do skin tones do anything interesting? How about buldings, wood, stone, brick, etc?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll most likely be shooting with my Nikon FE, so I'll have TTL metering. Not sure if that matters, but who knows.

Load and unload the film in Total Darkness.

A #25 Red filter is good, a #29 filter is better.

I shot this film for many years (and I'm curious where you obtained the film at this late date) and pyro developer worked best for me. I don't recommend D-76 or Rodinal. 12.5 m @75F in PMK worked nicely.

Any HIE you find today is way out of date so it's difficult to predict what results you will get. IMO, all of the other so called IR films on the market today suck. Back in the day best results were had when the film was processed within 24 hours of exposure.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So many suggestions!

I shoot most of my HIE in a Nikon FE (like you) with a red 25 filter and get great resutlts with that. I tend to shoot it at 320 or 400 ISO through the filter (although the f/11 at 1/125 tends to work too). I've developed it in D-76 (stock) and Xtol (1:1) and prefer it in D-76 (11 min). I've loaded the film in daylight, subdued light, and in total darkness. While I've been lucky sometimes with the loading in light, don't take a chance here. You only have two rolls -- why ruin them when you can do the right thing to prevent fogging?

Also, while foliage is an obvious thing to shoot with infrared, don't just shoot it to get an 'infrared' shot -- if it's not an interesting scene in normal black and white or colour, then it won't really be in infrared either (although there are some exceptions). Try shooting people, any kind of motion (you can handhold your camera while shooting this film, unlike others), etc. Some water in the image also looks great, as does old wood. Don't be afraid of lightly cloudy days -- even if you can't see the sky, the film will. Although there will be less infrared light on cloudy days, so you may need to overexpose to compensate. And of course there's lots of infrared light late in the day when the shadows are longer and more interesting -- this is also a great time to shoot.

Good luck!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin