Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,935   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edit: Doh! I just saw your post above mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    My parameters are: Rodinal 1:1...
    Is this really what you mean? I've never head of Rodinal used undiluted (or 1+1 if that's what you mean). I've never seen anything more concentrated than 1:25.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sorry, I made the correction in an earlier post...1:50

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually use D-76 1:1 with Acros 100 and I am very happy with the results.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    OK, here are the first preliminary results. I printed test strips at a magnification of 12 (ca. 30*40cm from 35mm). The Beutler film strip had a bit lower contrast and I compensated this by adapting the paper contrast. Not ideal, I know.

Beutler shows a bit more resolution than Rodinal and XTOL 1+1 (one step in the USAF chart). Rodinal is visibly grainier, XTOL and Beutler roughly the same. Rodinal looks slightly sharper than XTOL, Beutler maybe even a bit more but looks (due to the finer grain) cleaner.

All in all the differences in grain (except Rodinal) and sharpness are subtle and one has to examine a 30*40 print quite close to see the difference.

Rodinal had 22°C during development which is counterproductive for fine grain. Other people report that Rodinal at 16°C gives visibly finer grain but not at the level of D76 and friends.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to hijack but can anyone explain the reason that rodinal gives finer grain at slightly lower temps?
    I've seen this mentioned several times and am curious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin