Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,155   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm

Fuji Acros in XTOL 1+1 vs. Beutler or Rodinal

Hello,

since years I'm developing Fuji Acros in XTOL 1+1 and am quite satisfied. From time to time I wonder If I could get a bit more sharpness without sacrificing (too much) grain.
    I did a test and developed Acros in XTOL 1+3 but a side by side comparison showed (edit: nearly) no sharpness improvement. I think this is due to the fact that Acros itself is quite sharp and there is not much room left for improvement by development.

Having Rodinal and Beutler at hand I wonder if its worth to try them with Acros. Or will I waste my time?

FWIW I'm talking about 35mm enlarged to 30*40cm, i.e. magnification ca. 12.
    I'm pretty sure that my camera / enlarger are not the limiting factors here.
    Last edited by ath; 08-27-2011 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: reviewed my older tests
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tend to use Rodinal and Acros in medium format, but I haven't used it in 35mm....I like grain in 35mm! You are definitely not wasting your time using Rodinal. I feel I get more apparent sharpness with Rodinal than xtol (my other developer). I have zero experience with Buetler.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Mark, thanks. How do you develop Acros in Rodinal and what contrast do you aim at?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use 120 ACROS and my main processes are XTOL, Beutlers, Rodinal and Pyrocat HD. I use XTOL usually straight. My personal subjective aesthetic feelings about the different combos goes...
    with XTOL... very clean clear and the best for studio portraits
    With Rodinal Very sharp with beautifully glowing highlights.
    With Beutlers Very sharp, noticeably sharper, but with a tendency to look at bit grey and flat.. I often use bleach when printing.
    With PyrocatHD long scale open mid tones and a bit muggy in the highlights.
    That said, to me the difference between any of them is very subtle and doing side by side comparisons I have to write on the backs of the prints to remember which is which. My go to developer right now is Pyrocat only because I have about a lifetime supply and it is very cheap. Beutlers is also very cheap and easy. I have the sense deservedly or not that Rodinal gives me less shadow detail but the best of all for whites. And Xtol looks really good but I have a hard time ascribing any special quality to it.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My parameters are: Rodinal 1:1 for Acros at EI80. 12 minutes with a few inversions every minute and I get negs that print well (mostly) at grade 3 on a diffusion enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't think you'll waste your time: may be you can find a good alternative to xtol
    i've used beutler, but mainly with fomapan 100 in 120 format and i really like the result: crisp and clear. i don't know how the developer will respond with the T-grain technology as foma is a classic emulsion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love Acros with Rodinal. I believe I go 1:25 at around 7 minutes? I'll dig up my notes and see.

Acros is excellent film. Fine grain, dries flat, clear base.

Mark, are you sure you use Rodinal 1:1 or did you mean XTOL?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think there is merit in trying Rodinal, especially with a fine grain film such as Acros or Tmax. I did Tmax and Rodinal during a period in the beginning of my developing career, but it wasn't the easiest of combos for a newbie with totally uncalibrated process regimen.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Well I did a quick test, shot a UASF1951 chart and developed in XTOL 1+1, Beutler and Rodinal 1+50. I hope to find time in the next days to make the test prints.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sorry ....rodinal 50:1!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin