Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,920   Online: 1096

Thread: Glutaraldehyde

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glutaraldehyde

this is a chemical used in x-ray emulsions and developers, but this article http://www.ncchem.com/snftaas/crying_in_the_dark.htm mentions that kodak and agfa use it in "all their developers", although it is unclear whether this is specifically in the x-ray development process.

Does anyone know of this chemical and whether it is used in photographic chems? If so, it may be the cause of my continuing throat problems (ventilation hasnt solved the prob).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check this out www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/iacl64x.pdf

Gluteraldehyde is used as a cold sterilant in hospitals. I believe at one time it was used as a grain preservative in bulk storage bins.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glutaraldehyde is a cross-linker and would be used as a film hardener and stabilizer. I've never seen it used in a conventional B&W developer though for processes that run "hot" it may be included... like in the X-ray process mentioned in your link. What are the other chemicals you are using in your process (stop bath, fixer?) Could one of them be a source of your throat irritation?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Glutaraldehyde is a cross-linker and would be used as a film hardener and stabilizer. I've never seen it used in a conventional B&W developer though for processes that run "hot" it may be included... like in the X-ray process mentioned in your link. What are the other chemicals you are using in your process (stop bath, fixer?) Could one of them be a source of your throat irritation?
    FWIW, Glutaraldehyde is being used to harden gelatin sized water color paper for use in gum bichromate printing. It has been conjectured that it is a better hardener than other chemicals such as glyoxal and formaldehyde for gum printing.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you use an acid stop bath? Acids are the biggest casue of throat irritations. When I took Chem classes, even the acids that were not denoted as needing to be handled under the chem hood, would cause all of us in the lab to have sore throats. You could use just a plain water stop bath and see if that helps.
    Non Digital Diva

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aldehydes are used in most lith developers, and some developer hardeners. Glutaraldehyde is a lot safer than the alternative - formaline.

There are lith developers without aldehydes, but I don't know what's in commercial mixes. But since it is a liquid, anything from dry powder should be safe
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks everyone. I was using a very smelly alkaline fix and thought that might be the problem. Have switched back to hypam now but still having trouble. I use a very mild stop - and was using a water rinse as a stop when the problem started so I dont think it can be that. the only constant is agfa Neutol WA. I have some Bromophen to mix up so will try that to see is that makes a difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep experimenting, and keep us informed. Good luck.
    BTW Metol is the element that I have to keep away from.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife says the stuff is used in the operating room and is a disinfectant and is very corrosive, and will dissolve rubber. Rough stuff.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin