Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,512   Posts: 1,645,338   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilfosol 3?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I love ilfosol 3, switched from d76. It gives me more grey tones and is very sharp when used with finer grained films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfosol S was a great developer - one of my favourites and excellent with FP4+. It had one really bad point, as has been mentioned, which was short life and sudden death after being left in a part used bottle.

Ilfosol 3 is an 'improvement' in that it is supposed to last longer, but they only sell it in bottles twice the size!
    Kind of two steps forward and one step back, I think...

I bought a bottle, used about a quarter (I'm an 'intermittent photographer' - the hobby goes on the backburner for months at a time) and when I came to it again... it had gone off. It probably lasted longer than Ilfosol S, but I had hoped it would last a lot longer, which it didn't... I like the previous posters 'decant into smaller bottles' idea. You could also add marbles to exclude the air (I wished I'd tried that) - or use that can of nitrogen - but all extra effort. If you are shooting a lot of film regularly it is great. If like me you are a more intermittent shooter - there are other developers which last longer.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bottle all my D-76 in 250ml bottles after mixing, so far I've had it last over a year and still be fresh as the day it was mixed. Formulary sells a liquid version of D-76, haven't tried it, though it sounds interresting. I also like Pyrocat-HD for most of my films, economical and extremely long lasting.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Ilfosol 3 too. The convience of mixing what you need to use is nice. If developing times are too short, use one of the higher dilutions. I use marbles in the bottle to reduce the amount of air. The problem comes when it's near the end of the bottle. The marbles want to pour out faster than the developer.
    Recently I tried Ilford Perceptol, and also like it. I store it in eight ounce bottles which are diluted 1:1 for use.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    127 Format
    I didn't like Ilfosol-3. Fomapan comes out very grainy and the tonality did not please me. I didn't use it much and the 2/3 full bottle was unusable at 6 months.

I got very pleasing results with D76 but again, it only lasted about 6 months in a partially used bottle.

My happiest results so far are with HC-110 and Clayton's F76+ (a liquid D76-like developer also sold as Freestyle's Arista Premium Liquid). My Clayton is about 1 year old and I just used it this morning to get great development of some Neopan 400.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Ilfosol 3 and i use it mostly with slow film up to 125-200, i can use it for 400 but as long it says that it is best for slow films then i follow that and use it for slow film, i tested it with Pan F+, FP4+, TMAX 100 and Acros 100, all of those films came out great nice with Ilfosol 3, even better than D-76 dev to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have a bottle of Ilfosol 3 from previous session, i think it was almost 1 year or a bit over, not sure if it is still working, in all cases it has few amount, maybe less than 200ml or around, so i can dilute that for 1:14[or better to write 1+14?], but not sure if it is still working or dead already, same with Rapid Fixer, there is little remains in the bottle, i stopped to develop about 6 months ago and those were opened first time over 12 months ago, i have new bottle of Ilfosol 3, will not open until i will have bunch of films to develop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin