Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,684   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilfosol 3?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilfosol 3?

I am looking for a liquid film developer that would be more economical and longer-lasting than D-76 powder.

I have and love Rodinal, it is my go to developer for most of my film. But there are films that don't respond well to Rodinal, or where the high acutance makes the grain too apparent.

I have stumbled upon Ilfosol 3. Has anyone used it? What films does it work particularly well with? Any opinions?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HC-110 comes as a super concentrated syrup. Long lasting and as good as D-76. No idea of Ilfosol, never used it.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used it with Acros, Deltas 100 and 400, and Pan F+ and it works fine. It will oxidize withing a few months after you open it, though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I pour it into smaller containers, full up ( actually 25cc brown bottles I get at work) Each is good for 80 sq inches of film. Never had it go bad yet. Has finally given me the contrast and consistancy I need.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've had open bottles of Ilford DD-X last up to a year. More expensive than Ilfosol 3. If money is an issue, HC110 is the way to go, it lasts aeons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for HC-110, or if you prefer a more liquid one, you can point at Ilfotec LC 29

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found it a good match for the Delta films. Moderate contrast, smooth grain.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ilfosol 3 is my third most used developer (after Rodinal and Xtol). It's very sharp and gives excellent tones. My favourite combo is with HP5+, so it's not just for slower films. Also excellent for Pan F+.

Ilfosol 3 is the replacement of Ilfosol S. Ilfosol S suffered from sudden death, Ilfosol 3 definitely does not and keeps very long in fully filled bottles (I've gone as fas as two years once, by accident). Ilfosol 3 and Ilfosol S give identical results in my experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally don't care for Ilfosol 3. For economy I'd join the chorus of recommendations for HC-110: amazing stuff, even Shanghai film looks phenomenal in it. Right now for T-grained films I'm loving DD-X, though it's more costly, but I'm hoping to start experimenting with XTOL (and replenishing it) soon.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a huge fan of Ilfosol 3 because its times are usually shorter than those for Ilfosol S (which I loved). While it might work well for some films, I used it with Acros and the time was so short that it contributed to uneven developing (IMO). I've switched to DDX and I'm still considering if I might try something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin