Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,688   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Are keeping properties the same for stock and replenished?
    My experience is yes, I've started new batches of Replenished Xtol with year old Xtol stock.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My experience is yes, I've started new batches of Replenished Xtol with year old Xtol stock.

Ian
    Thanks Ian.
    I'm trying to understand if the developer by-products (bromides?) present in a replenished line has any effect at all for longevity.

The more I think about it I would assume they wouldn't either stifle or promote oxidation but we all know what happens when we assume. Especially where chemicals are involved

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce, because I was spending most of my time in Turkey and only visiting the UK twice a year (last 4-5 years) my Replenished Xtol would sit idle for months in storage. I ran test films through before using and found no differences after a year in storage I would previously have been turning over a 5 litre batch split 50:50 stock and repleniosher in under a year, more like 6 months often continuing replenishment with another pack of Xtol for up to 2 years before starting afresh.

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems it's fairly robust despite the stories on the internet and possible problems they had with it at one time.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have gotten one year in the past (though I usually use it up well before then). I mix with distilled water and store in one of those accordion-style containers. Xtol can last a long time if properly stored.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I first tried XTol almost 2 years ago and then preceded to use it for all my pushes. That lasted for about 1.5 years before it went flat, with about 1 ltr left. The last run I actually put a leader in the stuff and made sure it turned black. It did, but my roll still came out clear.

I worked out of a 4l and a 1l bottle. I actively used the 1l bottle and refilled it from the 4l. They were just juice jugs, nothing special.

Now I was using 1:2, which made it go a long way. However 1:2 gave me the look and texture I needed. For the price, who cares....

Since then, I am trying the replenisher approach. It gives me the dev times of 1:2 ish, but sort of gives me the guarantee that the working solution should not go flat.

Now my drum only uses 150 ml per 35/120 roll of film. When I used 1:2, I only threw out 50ml of xtol for a one-shot. Replenishing takes a 70ml top up. I guess I am using more with replenishing, but I think it is less likely I will loose a roll of film with it. Again, for the price, who cares.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends a lot of the quality of the (tap-) water. So in doubt use destilled water for Xtol and you will be fine for at least 6 months of a 5 ltr. stock. Dividing in smaller bottles will of course prolong the life time however over 9-10 months is not very wise with this type of Ascorbic Acid developer. You can also use the same type developer from Foma: Fomadon Excel W27 in the 1 ltr. packing. A tick more grain, for the rest (almost) the same.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using replenished XTOL and adding stock XTOL after each development, I have kept the replenished XTOL for over two years. Note that when I used up the stock XTOL, I mixed up fresh stock XTOL and continued. As long as the stock XTOL is less than a year old, I have had no problems.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mix my Xtol with distilled water and store it in many small (330 ml) glass bottles. I set some aside for an age test. After 3 years it was still fine. But remember I never have any air in the bottles. I open it and use it all at once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL in a replenished line will last a long time - if it uses nitrogen burst agitation. The nitrogen bubbling through the developer will carry away oxygen as well as prevent air from getting at the developer.

I had a batch of XTOL fail while clear a year ago. Probably 6 months old, stored in topped-up bottles. I had heard rumor that Kodak had somehow addressed the issue and so I bought a brand-new bag - same old stuff...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin