Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,835   Online: 885

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're concerned about Xtol failing suddenly, consider using Ilford DD instead.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...ilm+Developers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sudden XTOL failure is a problem that was addressed and corrected many years ago by Kodak. Any develop will go bad if not tightly sealed. All developers risk going bad given enough time.

Basic Good Lab Practice: If this is a concern for any developer, take a small piece of film and test the developer prior to use.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    If you're concerned about Xtol failing suddenly, consider using Ilford DD instead.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...ilm+Developers
    Keith I take it that your reference is to DD and not DDX. The link certainly is to DD. However I tried to recall ever seeing it on any retailer websites, couldn't and so checked but failed to find it.

I then tried Harman Express and there was no mention of it. Putting in a search only got me to DDX although clearly DD exists. However the tech specs for it only seem to cover large capacity dip and dunk and all temp refs are to mid 70s F.

Maybe it isn't generally available to home darkroom users?

Do you know where it can be obtained and in what size containers?

This is getting away from the OP's thread but just in case he or others wish to consider using DD then the info might be useful.

Interestingly Harman doesn't seem to state it lasting any longer than the bulk of Xtol users have said that Xtol will last if kept properly i.e in airtight containers

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The DDX sheet says;
    "Full, unopened bottles of ILFOTEC DD-X will keep
    in good condition for two years. Once opened,
    use within three months and keep bottles tightly
    capped.
    Diluted ILFOTEC DD-X should not be stored."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Regarding the comments about DD or DDX though, I've got a lot of experience with DDX and I would not consider it an XTOL "equivalent" as I've seen people suggest in the past. They are really not the same. DDX is a PQ formulation and is a closer match to TMAX developer in its working properties, not XTOL.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Keith I take it that your reference is to DD and not DDX. The link certainly is to DD. However I tried to recall ever seeing it on any retailer websites, couldn't and so checked but failed to find it.

I then tried Harman Express and there was no mention of it. Putting in a search only got me to DDX although clearly DD exists. However the tech specs for it only seem to cover large capacity dip and dunk and all temp refs are to mid 70s F.

Maybe it isn't generally available to home darkroom users?

Do you know where it can be obtained and in what size containers?

pentaxuser
    Maybe it is a special order item, but it's listed on Ilford's website.
    Simon Galley would know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found PC-TEA to give me results that seem to me identical to what I was getting with xtol. Since I wasn't using xtol very frequently that's what I switched to. PC-TEA seems to keep for ages. I had xtol fail in the past but it seems that issue has been addressed. It happened a number of times and I just didn't feel I could count on it. Glad to hear others find it so reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Any developer will go bad if not tightly sealed. All developers risk going bad given enough time.
    I don't think XTOL goes bad any faster than any other developer. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't go all brown and stinky when it oxidises. One can do a snip test before every use (and one should), but the time I forget the test is the time the developer goes off.

Although it will change color, XTOL stops working long before it turns pail yellow.

I find the benefits of XTOL do not outweigh the costs incurred in re-shooting a roll when it, like all developers, fails.

YMWV
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Over 12 months in a wine bladder...
    So, does it matter if you can still smell residual wine in the bladder? I've washed the one I have half a dozen times but I can still smell the wine in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    So, does it matter if you can still smell residual wine in the bladder? I've washed the one I have half a dozen times but I can still smell the wine in it.

That would be a seasoned bladder!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin