Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,560   Posts: 1,573,303   Online: 1026

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format

Response to Tony-S

Was quoting (always hazardous) popular literature on XTOL toxicity. Kodak makes MSDS (material safety data sheets) available for all their products on their website: search on MSDS. The sheet for XTOL seems to list fewer problem spots than others, but I was surprised to note that although METOL is absent from the formulation as far as I can tell, ascorbic acid (vitamin-C) which is touted popularly to be the active ingredient seems not present. But chemistry is not my strong point.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The developing agents in XTOL are isoascorbic acid and a form of phenidone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just finished my first batch of XTOL, which was mixed Dec 9, 2011 and was 6.5 months old. It worked perfectly.

I mixed the 5L of XTOL and then divided it into 10 500mL brown bottles with the phenolic caps, filled to the very top. Just thought I'd add this since the "XTOL failure" meme seems to be evergreen around the interwebs.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    John, can elaborate on the toxicity? My wife will be teaching a high school photography component and she's interested in low toxicity, Eco-friendly methods.
    As a chemist I would say that Xtol probably has the lowest toxicity of any commercial film developer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had Xtol last 13 months. Of course it was stored in a tightly sealed accordian-style containers.

JIm B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mix with distilled water and store in several small glass bottles (330ml Perrier bottles). It has lasted over 3 years that way in my storage test. It may last even longer but that is as long as I have tested and I usually go through 5 liters in a few months.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gee, 3 years, nice, but You should consider shooting more
    Personally I used tightly capped stock solutions of xtol up to a one year old, and I mix it 1+1 for one time developing.
    I believe that weak batches in the past were due to an error in production and quality control, I had one few years ago with freshly mixed solution; it was too weak and I got thin negatives... I always used 5l batches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not so much how long it lasts (though I had Xtol die in a very few months back when I tried it - this was from the old small packs though so maybe the 5L ones won't do that) but the fact that when it does go, it does so without any visible change in color and, all too often, very suddenly. Works fine one day, the next week you get virtually undeveloped negatives from developer that looks just like it did the previous week when it worked fine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin