Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,118   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Quick XTOL survey on keeping properties

How long after mixing do you figure 900ml of stock XTOL would last in a tightly capped dark glass 1 liter bottle stored at about 22-23C?

Usually I use up my developer stock solutions pretty quick but in this case I mixed up a batch of XTOL in mid July and in the past two months I've only used 100ml from the 1L bottle. I'm doing some new work now and wondering if it's likely still good. And if there are any ways to tell whether XTOL has gone bad (color change etc).

Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You should be well within it's lifespan. Some people experience 6 months and some 9 months out to a year. The biggest enemy of course is air, so I flood mine with nitrogen. I did notice years ago mine went bad when it turned yellow but that was out near a year. Basically I feel that if the solution is champagne colored your fine, and of course there is always the clip test to certify.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some last 9 or 10 months.
    I make sure the bottles are either full or topped off with inert gas ("Bloxigen").

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my xtol in a wine bladder and it's been 7 months and it's still in great shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5L should last 6 months, as indicated on package, but I always use it up before that lol. Separate it out to smaller bottles that you can top off to the rim, instead of exposing the whole thing to air everytime you use it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The secret I found was to mix it in distilled water. Otherwise, mysterious white cloudy things would appear (probably a mold or something growing in it.) I get 6 months out of it, at least.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over 12 months in a wine bladder on a few occasions in the last 10 years but normally I get through 5 litres in a month or two at the most. Never ever had a problem with XTol mixing it up in Sydney tap water.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At a minimum 6 months in dark glass bottles topped off, I've been using it at 8 months.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others my experience is always more than 12 months, it was one of my main developers for abouit 20 years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are keeping properties the same for stock and replenished?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin