Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,446   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fixer bottle stains?

I keep my fixer (at working dilution) in clear glass bottles. (I understand it's not particularly light-sensitive, and the online store was out of brown amber glass bottles at the time anyway.) My latest batch started getting some black precipitate on the bottom and some gray staining on the walls of the bottle, although the fixer was not yet exhausted. Judging from other posts I found once, I think these are small amounts of silver or some silver compound that is, for whatever reason, prematurely falling out of solution (is "falling out" the correct term?).

Anyway, after dumping the fixer out, the black particles at the bottom are easily removed, but the sides of the bottle are still cloudy. (I have found I can "wipe" the walls clean, but the bottle has a narrow neck, and my finger is only so long.) I've tried filling the bottle with some hot soapy water, some diluted Windex, and some diluted Clorox bleach. The walls are still cloudy, and I'd like to know how to get them clean. I want to know if this is possible, since I'd like to be able to store a different chemical in the bottle after I clean it. So any advice would be appreciated, especially methods that use household cleaning supplies rather than specially photographic chemicals that I'd have to order.

Thanks in advance.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bottle brush?

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips.../dp/B00004OCLJ

I'd also suggest that you dedicate each bottle to its own chemical.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I use clear bottles, I stick them in the black plastic paper comes in, and use a twist-tie at the top. Not pretty, but it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bottle brush will do nicely. You don't have to be too fussy. From your description, my guess is that it is just silver plating out of the solution onto the glass. (That will produce a yellowish iridescent coating on the glass.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Another home type cleaner is to put a teaspoon of uncooked white rice in the bottle along with some warm soapy water.Cap the bottle and shake like crazy.The rice acts like an abrasive.

Howard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gallon Chlorox bottles. Disposable, just ask your wqife to save em. You never have to worry about contamination.

Agreed... The best answer so far was the bottle brush.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bottle brushes are good, available from laboratory suppliers, but also from home mde wine / home brew shops.

I bought some small metal beads from a wine merchant - used for cleaning out wine decanters. They're just ball bearings, really, so maybe you could also buy some from an engineering supplier.

Swirl them around with some soapy water.

Personally, though, once I've used a bottle for fixer I'll never use it for anything else...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re: ball bearings
    Available in bulk here; http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...id=20051232530

No connection with the vendor BTW, I buy bike parts and tools from them occasionally.

As for the fixer, I'm curious which fixer are you using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using Zonal Pro rapid fixer. I bought a pair of bottles before they went out of business. I might try making my own fixer from scratch after it runs out.

I've also decided to keep it as the fixer bottle (rather than put something else in), but it would be nice to get rid of these stains. I might try the rice trick, and then buy a bottle brush if that doesn't work.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Household bleach should remove it, so will your bottle of undiluted indicator stop bath. Pretty much any common acid will eat the silver, and there is no chance of it eating the glass. There are exceptions, but not available at Home Despot.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin