Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 763

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    5 seconds in part A and then get the stuff off by washing**just enough time to get the bleach on the silver then off**

10 seconds in Part b and then into the washer.

give it a try wonderful skin , beautiful blacks and slight warmth in the highlights.

Oh I am in Heaven.
    Sweet! I've been doing just that with my own prints, but instead of a pure sulfide toner I've been using Moersch MT3, which is thiourea, with the pH adjusted to give a similar golden hue that something like Kodak sepia II does with very diluted bleach. I've scrapped the subsequent selenium bath, because I feel it's too much for my portraits. Same bleach.

Thanks for the excellent advice, Bob!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know a scan may not quite match, but any way to see a sample?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Thomas said...love the thiourea!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just curious, but 10 seconds doesn't seem enough time to fully re-develop the print in solution B. Am I wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    +1

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Suzanne, I was away for a few days so now I am back and I am attaching a jpeg.
    I have tried to make it look like the fibre print, the dodge and burn is a bit flackey but you get the idea.
    Just a slight hint of warmth on the body with the dark areas remaining somewhat nuetral.
    I have been hoping to get this look for a long time, now if I could only get a cold tone for the shadows on this paper (IWT) then I would be a really happy camper.

Photographer is Russell Monk - he just won the PDF's faces competition for his series of local portraits of people he knows in his small town. San Miguel Mexico I believe. I am printing this show right now and 30 of these images will be on display at the Kentucky Bi Annual art festival at Pigment Gallery in the Mellwood Art Center Louisville Kentucky.. October 21-23 is when all the artists from Canada will invade Louisville, I have my mucklucks and snowballs on Ice already waiting for this event.

www.elevatorexhibitions.com for more basic details of the Canadian Invasion

www.russellmonk.com is his site, I have been printing for 15 years for Russell and I consider him one of Canada's top photographers, commercial and fine art. His work at the boat breaking yards in Bangladesh back in the 90's inspired Ed Burtynsky to shoot in the exact location three months later. In fact some of the same ships were featured.

Salgado did it before Monk and I am sure many many photographers have worked in the same location.
    The print I made back then for this series was with Grade 5 filter only , paper masks to burn in the upper highlights , a very difficult assignment.
    Prints were on cold tone paper and just selenium for archival attributes.
    this print also should be at Louisville, probably not framed but just in a box to show some of his earlier work.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Masks.jpg   Shipbreakingbangladesh.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Bob - yes, this is turning into one of my favorite portrait papers too, although my own toning tweaks
    tend to be a little different. Maybe we'll run into each other some day and can compare prints. I'm even
    using this paper for contact printing 8x10's with marvelous results.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Where are you located Drew??
    may be coming west before next spring.
    If you are near Louisville , make sure you drop in .
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Hi Bob - yes, this is turning into one of my favorite portrait papers too, although my own toning tweaks
    tend to be a little different. Maybe we'll run into each other some day and can compare prints. I'm even
    using this paper for contact printing 8x10's with marvelous results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob.... Great info, but have some questions. How does your sepia formula compare to the Kodak Sepia II kits ?? If I remember right, you used to use those when they were available? I still have some of the sepia II kits and actually dilute the Part A way more than the stock solution kodak recommends. Something like a 1:6 dilution versus stock solution because it virtually irradiates the paper of you keep it stock for their recommended time. Just wondering if your formula for Part A is the roughly the same strength as a STOCK Kodak part A? 5 seconds dunk and rinse sounds VERY short so I assume it must be stock solution strength?

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks Bob, that print looks stunning.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin