Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,390   Online: 859

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took it home on the subway and no one would have any idea what it was. If I tried that today I'd get locked up.
    A detriment of living in the big city, I guess. A couple of years ago a camera store that was closing gave me two gallon bottles of glacial acetic acid. I just loaded it my car and headed off. I gave some away, but will still have stop bath for a long time to come.

As for the ventilation question, I would limit the time behind closed doors to maybe 1/2 hour or so, or whatever a recommended air-change interval might be. For roll film, once it's loaded, the door can be opened, so there should be little worry. For printing it should be enough time to get a few prints into the wash, depending on how many students are working at one time. Once a batch of prints are in the wash the darkroom could stay open until they come out for drying, then start the process again.
    This is more or less the way I work in my home darkroom, which isn't currently ventilated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you had dropped and broken it back they you would have been locked up too!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Why not caffeinol (coffee, vitamin C, washing soda) and a water stop bath?
    exactly ...
    and some sprint fixer ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I do think though that taking active steps to maximize ventilation in the darkrooms and workrooms is important - not so much because of the chemicals, but instead because of the deleterious effects in general of poor ventilation.

No comment from me about the other benefits of good ventilation when one is dealing with small rooms filled with teenagers .

Teens? Try adults, unfortunately there's just no educating some of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A solution of sodium thiosulfate has long been used as a topical treatment for certain skin conditions including acne. In fact some doctors would recommend Kodak fixer as an easily obtainable remedy for tinea versicolor.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Analogue photography darkrooms have working methods, not "work flow"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Analogue photography darkrooms have working methods, not "work flow"
    I like that!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    threads like this pop up once in a while claiming photochemistry is harmless,
    i don't know if these threads do more harm than good. it is more than obvious that certain things are not
    good to be in contact with, to consume, to have in the reach of children, and to treat without respect. including many of the things found in a traditional or alternative process darkroom.
    i can't imagine why anyone would say anything different ...
    it's like someone suggesting that selenium toner is harmless because selenium is found in vitamins or brazil nuts or the ocean.
    or that it is not dangerous to make your own silver nitrate.

kind of reminds me of the guy in repo man with the alien in his trunk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Maris. Thi is an old story about glacial aceitic acid. I graduated High School during the Ford administration. On the way home from my last day I stopped at the lab and and made a long term loan of a gallon bottle of glacial aceitic acid. The chemistry teacher ordered it for us earlier in the year. I had stop bath for years. The bottle was glass and very thick. I took it home on the subway and no one would have any idea what it was. If I tried that today I'd get locked up.
    I did that a few months ago :P half a litre though not 1 gallon. Was my only way of getting it back, since it's a pick up only item.

I also got a box full of old many unlabelled chemicals a certain store was wanting to get rid of. I had them sitting on top another box (a Kodak box), but the top box was just an open top box, with dodgy looking dusty things.. very intimidating looking actually. Anyway it was sitting there outside coles in Melbourne Central station, and I had my Indian friend holding them at one time too.

Lots of police wandering around.. they didn't appear at all interested.
    Last edited by Athiril; 09-06-2011 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    threads like this pop up once in a while claiming photochemistry is harmless,
    i don't know if these threads do more harm than good. it is more than obvious that certain things are not
    good to be in contact with, to consume, to have in the reach of children, and to treat without respect. including many of the things found in a traditional or alternative process darkroom.
    i can't imagine why anyone would say anything different ...
    it's like someone suggesting that selenium toner is harmless because selenium is found in vitamins or brazil nuts or the ocean.
    or that it is not dangerous to make your own silver nitrate.

kind of reminds me of the guy in repo man with the alien in his trunk
    Treat with care and respect, YES. Treat with fear and loathing, NO. That is part of my point. And, as pointed out above, many household cleaners are far more toxic and can do more damage to the individual.

PE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin