Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1009

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a chemistry set when I was a kid and I loved it. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Household chemicals go under the kitchen sink. They were never touched by our children at all.

Really nasty household chemicals went into the pantry with a lock. I guess our children behaved when told what they could and could not do.

PE

ours are stored like yours ron ...
    and my kids behave as well,
    but as i mentioned i have known quite a few kids
    when i was also a kid who did not behave as well
    and nearly killed themselves or others because of
    their curiosity. i am by no means suggesting that photochemicals
    are evil and should be stored in a dungeon ... but it seems
    that many people lack common sense as we have seen in other threads
    here on apug ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, teenagers are more dangerous!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a couple of incidents from my time as the hot-line guy for Eastman Chemicals:

A darkroom worker complains of headaches, dizziness, and general malaise while working in a well ventilated darkroom. He blames the "fumes" from the fixer.
    When I check his work space I find that the guy is doing 5 hour darkroom sessions while wearing a double cartridge (dust and vapour) face mask. He's got a deep fear of chemicals but what's getting him is ordinary anoxia because he's not breathing adequately.

An urgent call comes through from someone with metol allergy. The stuff is literally eating his hands even though he is wearing surgical gloves. It turns out that the victim has latex allergy from the gloves and the metol is innocent. But the story has spread to every darkroom in town and it takes ages to hose it all down.

Sometimes the irrational behaviour stemming from the fear of chemicals is more dangerous than the chemicals themselves. Knowledge and discipline deliver safety.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Lemon juice stop bath - Does anyone have a formula for lemon juice stop bath?

Our citrus trees are on a slope below the leech drain from the septic system so we produce a superabundance of lemons and oranges

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lemons contain Ascorbic Acid which is a developing agent. Are you sure you want to use this? When exhausted or in use with an alkaline fix, well, you can get some fog or over development. Use citric acid.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I totally agree that there is much more fear instead of respect for chemicals, it's downright crazy these days.

Guess I'd better stop wearing those cyanide gloves for protection...!!!
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, after a visit from the school district's occupational health department, the only requirements were (1) store the chemicals in a ventilated room and (2) install an eye wash station. Much easier than I expected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin